Search This Blog

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Vegan MoFo in NYC, Day 7: Pine Box Rock Shop!

Wellllll I hope you all brunched yrselves silly this morning. I didn't, exactly.
See, the thing is - New York is cool and all, sure, (hence this MoFo theme) and I've HEARD of people enjoying their Sunday brunches in the city but I wouldn't know a thing about it. New York is full of people hungry and hung over and grumpy and too tired to cook and in cramped, small apartments and I'm pretty sure we all hit the streets at the same time. Anytime I've ever ventured out to try and find brunch, there's always a crazy wait for a table.
Allysia has some pretty fantastic brunch time going on at her place, but I never really plan ahead enough to have groceries or prep done in the apartment already - plus, most of the time, all I can do for the first couple hours on Sunday is clutch my head and grope for liquids: Water, coffee, and...more alcohol.
Hey, hair of the dog, right?
THAT'S where Pine Box Rock Shop comes in.

 

 It's an all-vegan bar in Bushwick, Brooklyn specializing in Bloody Marys! That's right, no more nasty fishy Worcestershire sauce in yr drink, or even worse - actual clams or bacon-infused vodka, blegh. And, as their sign on the menu says, "We make them as hot as you can take them." Yes, please.
Two of their...seven (?) bloody options:

V8 juice, red pepper vodka, garnished with black pepper, spicy pickled green beans, lime, pickled okra, a gherkin, a garlic-stuffed olive, and pickled rutabaga!

Another version, less spicy: tomato juice, lemon, mango, kalamata olives, Tabasco, and basil.

SO YEAH. Plus Happy Hour from 2-8 makes for a very dangerous day off for me, but, uh, Bloody Marys are kind of blended salads, right??
If you do actually want to get some real food in yr system, PBRS offers three different types of vegan empanadas that are made locally. I'm pretty sure I've tasted their three varieties - Philly Cheeze Steak (with Daiya), a jerk collards and seitan one, and a black bean and corn one, or something. All served with a side of salsa. Really, really good.
Another bonus of this being a vegan bar is that people bring a ton of cute dogs in. Last time, a dog totally tried to order from the bar, paws up, sniffing around and everything. He definitely got the bartender's attention much better than I could.
Need one more bonus of this being a vegan bar? Vegan Pop-Up shops! Abby can probably tell you more about these than I could, as I only tried to go once but then saw the crowded bar and promptly turned right back around...but they are seasonal all-vegan mini flea markets of sorts and (sound like) lots of fun. Hopefully, come November there will be a holiday one and I can report back to you on that.
Cheers.

Pine Box Rock Shop
12 Grattan St., Brooklyn
L to Morgan ave.

33 comments:

  1. This place sounds awesome! I'm not a huge bloody mary fan but I love how much variety they have! Ew bacon infused vodka?! That's so gross, what the hell is wrong with people?

    Anyway, back to vegan goodness :) Vegan empanadas sound like a winner too, especially a black bean and corn one. Yum. And puppies ordering at the bar?! Too cute!

    Thanks for pounding that NYC pavement for us :) Loving your theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pups were SUPER cute! I think my favorite empanada was the jerk one!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fair amount of vegetables come attached to the drinks so, you're good. And all those tomatoes probably balance the booze, right? There's a vegan bar in Seattle called Highline. They have lots of tasty food to go with the drinks - you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Highline - putting it on the to-do list!

      Delete
  3. Ok, you & Shen have me a little bummed that I'm on call this weekend and can't partake in the boozy brunch action. Next weekend... I love a spicy bloody mary, especially when they come with lots of veg. Mango sounds like a nice match, too. Looks like a perfect Sunday to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mango with olive was pretty surprisingly delicious! It's not like yr really missing out with being on call, I just drink and then nap...kind of a wasted day...

      Delete
  4. Yes, please! I would like to reserve a table for all of our blogger friends for a TBD Sunday in the future. This place looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll save the table. I'm parked here til you get here!

      Delete
  5. If you've got rutabaga in your drink, I'm pretty sure it's technically one of your five a day. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, NYC. I've never been to Bushwick but the sammies sound like they're worth the trip. (Wish I liked Bloody Marys but I just can't seem to develop a taste for 'em!)

    Loving your NYC tour <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would like Bushwick very much, I think. Even if Bloody marys aren't yr thing :) It's an artsy area.

      Delete
  7. Ah yes, I love the Shop-ups! But there's something to be said for visiting on a quiet Sunday afternoon and having a Bloody Mary as a meal replacement.

    P.S. The chips they carry are really good too; I recommend, of course, the salt & vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chips next time! I was already over-doing it on the sodium PINT GLASSES OF VODKA

      Delete
  8. I love bloody mary's...but I can only stomach 2 or 3 :P and then it just vodka!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, the NY I remember. Liquid, lunch, breakfast, brunch, that was the way I rolled too.
    One time I was drinking a bloody mary at night, I think I was about 17, and my dad said to me, Hey Gi what are you doing?..drinking that at night? Bloody Marys are for the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whaaaat, a vegan bar in Bushwick?! How have I never found this place before? And, yes, bloody mary's are all the better because, hey, drink + snacks all in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have a reason to come back :) Ingrid's already called the back tables.

      Delete
  11. oh my gosh that bloody mary is AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this theme! We're considering heading to NYC after Christmas and all of these posts could serve as my guide. Great tip on the Bloody Mary joint- seems like a great place to meet up with omni friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can pick up some fun tips from the theme! Enjoy yr trip :)

      Delete
  13. Wow, this sounds like a great place! I love the counters. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have gotten a close up of the counters. They're all old concert tickets! It's so fun! (and kind of depressing to see that concerts for awesome bands were like 10 dollars 15 years ago.

      Delete
  14. I'm in New York right now, and it's the first time I've stayed at someone's place (via AirBnB) rather than a hostel or hotel. As much as I love cooking, I fear I'd never do anything but eat out if I lived here. Between Garden of Eden, Organic Avenue, Lulu's, Whole Foods... SO MUCH GOODNESS. I'm ridiculously envious of you, and loving your MoFo posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sometimes overwhelming. Enjoy yr visit!

      Delete
  15. Wow again. I am completely over-awed (not the same as jealous). This place sounds like heaven on earth: alcohol, vegan grub and dogs. How about cats? Any of those hanging out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cats! I was thinking that! I wish cats were as cool about being out in public as dogs are... Haxan would have really enjoyed the goth music playing, I think.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the shoutout, I missed my Sunday brunch this weekend! Ahh, but it was worth it for Thanksgiving foodstuffs. Also that restaurant is so badass! Vegan bars ftw, can't wait until next year for the big city livin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Нello, I enjoy reading аll οf уоur articlе.

    I likе to ωritе a little comment to supρort you.
    Also see my page: Loans for Bad Credit

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.