Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Not Being Present/Presents

Hey guys, I want to apologize for being a bit less present than usual. I'm sure this season is busy for everyone. I'm pushing to finish a book of poetry and a sewing project as well as, you know, live like a normal person. I'm still reading yr blogs, though commenting less and still eating, though am sometimes too busy for photographs. Also, G has been on vacation and for some reason, I don't cook so much when he's not around. My stomach has been giving me a bit of trouble these last few days too so I don't even have a huge appetite. That paired with no groceries means some pretty boring meals. Apologies over, here's some food:

This is the result of buying all those spices. Kind of close with the mulled cider, at least in that this is a beverage. Although the liquid is, em, a bit more fermented. And not a juice. Heh. I hope my friends and fam have been good this year.

My attempt at G's breakfast oats (cooked oats, pumpkin, dried cranberries, banana). I'm sticking with the austere raw stuff. I wish I had a shot of my breakfast this morning but I was running late. It was hilarious/awesome. I tried to get into the raw chia pudding again but with less liquid. 2 TBS chia seeds, 1/2 cup of water, fresh cranberries, ginger, mulberries, and banana. I felt like a powerhouse of superfood.

Yesterday's lunch. Leftover salad bulked up with chopped olives, white beans, avocado, and...parsley because we had no extra greens! Hey, if the govmint can call pizza a vegetable, I can get my nutrients from olives and parsley. It might sound a bit weird but parsley is very good for you and not just a garnish. High in iron, Vitamin K and A. I also happen to like the bright but slightly bitter flavor it has. Today's lunch was rice, raw tempeh, rehydrated shiitake mushrooms, olives and tomatoes over parsley. Again, no photo but it was tasty. I love to eat raw but when there are no groceries, it's nice to have pantry stuff like dried mushrooms and rice.

And tonight's dinner. I finally went grocery shopping. Marinated raw kale salad with red onion, grated carrot, tomato, and raw sunflower seeds doused in apple cider vinegar and a bit of olive oil, salt, and red pepper flakes.
I also bought some mini loaf pans because I plan to bake a lot to give as gifts. I gave Isa's Pumpkin Chocolate loaf another run to see how many loaf pans it'd take and how long to cook all the batter. How freaking cute is this baby loaf??


And, of course, the answer is, yes, they taste better for being tiny. Although, does anyone know if there is a standard size for mini loaves? These were pretty small and I had extra batter.
Okay guys, I'll be in and out. Stay cool (in the hip sense, not the temperature. In that case, stay warm.)

15 comments:

  1. So are you going to share a recipe with us for the fermented mystery beverage? Is it kombucha or something even more boozy?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mini loaves! My mom always makes them that size, although I don't know if there's a standard measurement for the pans. I've got to try that recipe, and giving them as gifts? Perfect!

    I hope that you're feeling better soon. No apologies needed at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was totally thinking about your healthy eating habits today - and realized that I don't have nearly enough produce to have a Maud-worthy salad!

    The mini loaves are freaking adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mini loaves are so cute and sound so tasty! I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well, I hope that you get well soon! This is definitely a busy time of year so it is totally understandable. Hope you accomplish everything you set out to accomplish :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogging less and still eating...I can relate to that.

    Mulled cider looks good! Hey, these things just scream for fermentation!

    I'm no expert, but I'm not aware of any mini-loaf standards, all I know is those look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacy, I am trying to will my brother away from the blog... I don't want to reveal too much! In time, in time, my friend!

    Molly, you should try the loaves! They have minimal oil, so I'm sure it'd be great if you left it out all together.

    Ingrid, I don't even have enough produce to make a Maud-worthy salad so I'm sure you can do better than me!

    VAVA, you of all people would know! Celebrations to take photos of AND cookie baking?? Your eats look better than mine during these crazy times though.

    Rose, it's not quite mulled cider. Stay tuned... Do you take photos of food you figure you won't blog about?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pictures of your food, especially your salads and oatmeal-type creations. Pumpkin in oatmeal? Did you just stir in some puree or was it pumpkin in some other form? Just curious. Your loaves look delish! Mini-loaves are dead cute, and cut into slices they're kind of a cake/cookie hybrid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Small things do taste better and you can eat multiples!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, mini loaves, that's a great gift idea! I should do that for my band. How did you adjust the baking time for those?

    ReplyDelete
  10. All that food looks amazing. And those loaves-- super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahahha, I didn't realize you have a G too! Stinks when they leave town, no? I'm about to be solo for the next four or five days...I'll probably make a mess of the kitchen though. Or just each nooch on pasta and call it a day. Nooch & peas, nooch & peas...

    Love your mulled cider! I can't wait for an excuse to make a batch. A very very very fermented-y batch :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zoa, yep, just pumpkin puree stirred in. Sometimes I'll plop it in afterwards and sometimes I cook the oatmeal in it. Equally easy and super good.

    Abby, I had to ask my boyfriend what a serving size of a mini loaf was - imagine my glee when he told me I could eat the whole thing!!

    Allysia, I toothpick-tested the loaves at half the baking time. Isa's full loaf directions say to bake for 55 minutes, I probably checked around 30 mins, and ended up leaving them in about 5 minutes longer. It would be easier if I said "35 minutes," wouldn't it? But do check a little earlier!

    Vaishali, they are so cute!

    Jes, I'm beginning to notice that a lot of bloggers have "G"s! It's a conspiracy! Nooch, pasta, and peas sounds awesome now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mini loaves! I knew I'd get to the bottom of that mystery! They're adorable!

    Your fermented concoction look like it's slowly reducing itself to a perfect shot glass size portion of liquid insanity for each family member that dares to partake. So happy I'm not related to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes I take photos and then decide not to blog it, or sometimes I take photos when I'm not sure if I want to. At the end of the day, I haven't been taking much of anything lately...I'm in blog paralysis...what should I blog about?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.