Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2011

MoFo, day 9: Rosemary Beet Pate

Hey guys. Thanks for all the well-wishes yesterday. Garlic, orange juice, sleep, and miso usually get the job done and I'm feeling a lot better. Despite that, I still didn't get out of the house today, most of my time being taken up by writing for the zine.
But I did celebrate the 80 degree temperatures with another almost raw-recipe, this one coming from Nikki at Fresh Young Coconut. She is making some delicious looking fall-themed raw food for MoFo, but today was a recipe I'd had bookmarked for a while, Rosemary Beet Pate.
I am a big fan of beets and we have them on hand here a lot, maybe even more than usual lately in the spirit of fall. However, almost a week went by without us making our usual salad, so the beets in the crisper got a little soft. They were salvagable by steaming them and following Nikki's recipe.
A steam, a bit of measuring out soaked sunflower seeds (I pre-soaked mine for maybe two hours?) and hemp seeds, a quick chop of rosemary, and a whirl in the food processor, et voila:


Gorgeous, no? I wanted to make collard wraps, like Nikki, but only had smaller interior romaine - so I just chopped it all up and went with a small salad of romaine, baby spinach, cucumber, and tomato.
Rosemary is an herb I like a lot but I am really bad about knowing how to use it (and almost all other herbs and spices.) Beet and rosemary is a combination I would never have paired but it works really nicely. It's also cool that this uses fresh rosemary and not dried, which lightens the flavor of usually dark and earthy beets. I added a few squeezes of lemon juice and a little extra rosemary.


Served with a side of carrots, cauliflower, and red pepper with hummus this was a great, quick lunch and pretty filling as well, due to the hemp and sunflower seeds.
Thanks, Nikki, I can't wait to use the rest of it up!

Any other favorite ways to use rosemary?

9 comments:

  1. Beets are always so pretty! I love the colors in the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful color! That pate sounds great, I really need to try beets sooner rather than later!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I really like the idea of rosemary with beets...I'm thinking it would be good over grilled beets too.

    Raw foodies never fail to impress me with their creations...so healthy and so tasty sounding/looking. Nikki's wraps look great, but your salad presentation is very attractive too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made the pate :)

    And yours looks really pretty! Mine looks like raw beef, haha. I almost didn't want to post about it because of the way it looked. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Your salad looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beets are so gorgeous. I've tried to make myself love them, but it just hasn't happened so far. I'm starting to think I have an aversion to iron rich foods...first beets, then molasses. I'm working very hard to love these two things. Looks super pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beets are the best! They're so worth the fuchsia-stained fingers and cutting boards and etc. That's a lovely looking pate, and I've never really used fresh rosemary before, but it sounds like a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beets are so beautiful — I wish I liked them more. I'm working on it, and I wouldn't turn down a gorgeous salad like your, but I might not make it myself, though it sure sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nikki, it was really good! Beet/Beef, even the words are similar; I don't think the photo was so bad!

    Lacey, pumpkin seeds are also high in iron if you're looking to up the intake. They're also a lot more palatable.

    Allysia, I think the beet stained fingers are one of the pros of working with beets! It cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The salad looks great, but the purple beet blob on top is unappreciated by moi. Reminds me of hospital cafeteria food. Sorry, is that rude? I never can tell.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.