Search This Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2011

MoFo, day 8: Leek Shiitake Miso Soup

I am dealing with a slight cold as a reward for all my attentions to G's horrible, disgusting, slimy cold last week. Doesn't that just make you hungry? No, me neither. But I do feel like miso soup is one of the best things on a fall night for a chill and a headcold.
Miso soup is pretty basic but it can also be a delicious, filling part of a meal with a few simple additions. For that, I turned to Nina at Veggie Wedgie. This miso soup includes shiitake mushrooms, which lent a sort of complex flavor to the bowl and a nice, spongy texture as well as added nutrients! Mushrooms are antibacterial and help with immunity. (I should note that I used fresh mushrooms, not dried).


I threw in all the suggested add-ins: cubed tofu, wakame, and leek. The leek was a really nice idea and one I never would have thought of. Wakame is a seaweed I have never used before (I sometimes toss some nori in miso soup) and also has its benefits: it is high in calcium, iron, iodine, and potassium. I changed the order of the steps, however, as miso loses some of its healthy cultures when heated. Always add miso paste to soup at the end of cooking. See, a simple soup can be quite healing.
On the side, I served a small bowl of rice noodles mixed with kimchee (which also included leek). A salty dinner, and maybe not as many vegetables as usual but...leave me alone, I'm sick!
Do you have any usual or favorite miso soup add-ins?

10 comments:

  1. Soup is perfect for a cold, especially miso soup!

    I hope that the cold is short lived for you. Having a stuffed up nose is one of the worst things, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww I'm sorry you are sick! Hope you feel better soon! The soup looks and sounds great, I'll have to try it soon! I didn't know that about mushrooms either, thanks for the info!

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miso soup is so wonderful when you're sick! I like adding finely chopped greens to the standard soup - it makes me feel extra healthy.

    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the kind of stuff I like to eat when I'm not feeling amazing, too. I crave soup and carbs, and greens just don't sound as good as instant noodles. Which is weird because when I'm not sick, I love greens!

    And good point about adding the miso in last so as not to boil away all the happy bacteria. Get better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feel better! I am still a novice when it comes to miso soup - I attended a sushi class in June (only partaking in the non-fish activities), and learned how to make miso soup. However, I haven't tried making it. But,I have made many avocado-cucumber rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delish ans soo healthy! Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miso soup is definitely a comfort meal. I like to add some crushed red pepper to my broth when I'm not feeling well. And lots of mushrooms. Hope you feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was very sweet of you to be attentive to G. Sorry you're paying for it. But good for you for treating your cold with healthy, relevant food. I just love miso paste so much that it doesn't matter to me what else I add.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drop some Alka Seltzer Plus Cold Tablets in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Molly, agreed! Being stuffed up always gives me a headache on top of it all.

    Thanks, VAVA. And yeah! The unassuming mushroom is totally healthful!

    Kelly, I usually add spinach but meh for today :)

    Allysia, thanks. It's funny because greens would probably make us get better more quickly but....

    Ingrid, that's so cool! I want to go to a cooking class! Avocado-cucumber rolls sound really good right now.

    Thanks Aimee.

    Nikki, ooh good idea! I love the heat. Next time, even if I'm not sick!

    Jenny, I'm sure you're used to it! You're right though, miso soup is pretty great just plain.

    Shen, or some dayquil even!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.