Search This Blog

Friday, October 14, 2011

MoFo, day 14: Mango Bread

The weather is dreary and turning cold, but today's recipe, Mango bread from Aimee at The Global Vegan will both brighten the day and transport you to warm tropical weather.


This sweet bread is so delicious! Banana is actually more the dominant flavor until you get a bit of mango. My mango was on the smaller side. Luckily, they are in season now (okay, well not locally) and it was a nice and juicy one. The sweetness is heightened by the addition of dates, which give additional bursts of moist chewiness.
I made a few substitutions, most importantly subbing raw cashews for macadamia nuts. Macadamias are incredibly expensive and I couldn't find them in bulk. It's an interesting sub, though, because cashews are actually in the same family as mango (Anacardiaceae)!


I also used coconut oil instead of olive oil to up the tropical theme and lend a slight flavor. I added ginger instead of cinnamon for the same reason. This came together quickly and smelled awesome while baking. Next time, I will make it a little less sweet because I want to eat this bread all the time but I can't justify it for breakfast. Yet.


 Do you like sweetbreads? Do you have a favorite? I also love pumpkin bread and gingerbread but there are a lot of different kinds out there.

11 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds yummy and with very smart substitutions! Subbing coconut oil is such a great idea! I'm not a huge fan of mango but I'm wondering if pineapple would work. I'm also a big fan of pumpkin and gingerbread (which is interesting because I'm not a big fan of ginger as a spice) and good ol' banana bread. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I do like sweetbreads. They're kinda like a big oblong Muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! You have an award over at my pad. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sarah, the substitutions sound very smart. It sounds like it would be really tasty. It looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of that bread; looks sweet and substantial. I didn't know about the cashew-mango link...v. interesting. It makes me realize that I know very little about cashews and nuts in general...I should look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like sweetbreads. We are big mango fans around here, too - dried, frozen, raw, you name it. So I'm sure mango bread would fit right in. Cashew and coconut oil make sense!

    ReplyDelete
  7. not only was i unaware that mangoes were in season, but i never would have known they're in the same family as cashews. i learn something new every day! macadamia nuts are expensive around here, too - even in bulk. i believe they're about $11/lb. eep! same with brazil nuts. it makes me sadfaced, but i get a little bit every now and again as a treat! mango is one of my favorite fruits (pineapple comes in second) - totally gonna deglutenize this recipe and give it a go. mmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This bread fills my soul with wonder! Mangoes are the favourite fruit of about 98% of Australia, including my mum, so I can't wait to make this for her. And use that jar of coconut oil in my pantry which is almost full despite my having got it last Christmas! :S

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore sweetbreads. This one looks delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. VAVA, pineapple sounds like a fabulous substitute! Wow, I bet that'd be great.

    Shen, I thought you didn't like muffins!

    BM, why thank you :)

    Isobelle, thanks - and for the prompting on buying coconut butter!

    Rose, I forget where I originally found it out...maybe reading something about allergies, but I thought it was interesting.

    Jenny, frozen mango sounds great!

    Jessy, I'd love to see how you do it up!

    Hannah, Australia knows what's up. (Or is it down, down there?)

    Molly, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.