Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Undocumented Eats, A-Z raw meme

Another ho-hum day over here. Actually, that's not true, but I have no photos of interesting things for you. I had a lot of good fruit: a good apple, some nice strawberries, an awesome quarter of a cantaloupe, as well as a refreshing green juice AND G and I even had another lunch date at Zen Palate. He got a yuba wrap and I got a "Nature's Oasis Salad," which was good but mostly greens with a few thin slivers of tofu. We also split an order of yam fries, which are usually recommended. They were okay. Greasy, but I suppose that's the idea with fries. I probably won't be back but it's always nice to spend some time with G and to eat something different than what I usually do. Maybe I should start bringing my camera with me if I'm going to start being all adventurous.
Here's my dinner, as a contrast to all today's excitement:


Super awesome cantaloupe, half an hour before dinner. Didn't even fit in the bowl! G and I have a lot of melon to get through and we aren't complaining.


Salad with hummus and nooch, cucumber and carrot with more hummus. Yes I used the hummus lid as the veg "plate."
And here's an A-Z food meme that I found on Gena's site. I like doing these and this one's a little different because it's all raw-food themed. I'm not technically a raw foodist, but I have a love and appreciation for the diet, so here it is. Let me know if you fill it out too; I'd love to read yours!

A) Preferred way to eat avocados: Halved, mashed with hummus, and topped with sriracha!
B) Daily banana intake: At least one!
C) Cacao or carob? Hmm probably cacao.
D) Durian? WHAT?
E) Essential to start the day: Vitamin and the aforesaid banana.
F) Favorite fruit: Apple.
G) Guru you like: Johanna Fateman is my guru/goddess
H) Healthy meal: Kale salad!
I) Ice cream base: Banana. Here it is again.
J) Juice or smoothies? Both, for different reasons. Smoothies as a meal to fill me up; juice as an energy snack.
K) Favorite way to eat kale: Kale salad!
L) # of Lemons in your house right now: Six? And one fake one that I always try to eat.
M) Muscle testing: hoax or real? WHAT IS THIS
N) Nut butter: favorite kind? Almond butter. I have yet to try any fancy ones but pumpkin seed butter sounds bomb.
O) Organic or conventional? I try to eat organic the fruits/veg on the D12 at the least.
P) Pickled veggies:Yes! Sauerkraut, kimchee, pickles.
Q) Questions you get asked about your diet: You know, the protein.
R) Recipe you love: Raw pad thai, zucchini pasta
S) Skin brushing? Never have.
T) Type of water you drink: NYC tap. It was voted tastiest water in the US!
U) Unbelievable thing that’s related to eating raw: The joy and energy it fills me with, as well as the no headaches.
V) Vegetable you love: CHARD
W) Why did you start eating raw? For a happier outlook and peace of mind. I first started doing it last year as a lead in/lead out to the Master Cleanse.
X) X-rated vegetable or fruit: I have a tendency to grab gigantic zucchinis.
Y) Yummy food you make: Pestos, kale salad, other stuff, hopefully.
Z) Favorite use of zucchinis: zucchini hummus blows my mind

After all that healthy raw raving, it's time for a drinky. Night!

11 comments:

  1. Zucchini hummus! I need to try that ASAP! (I liked reading all of your answers, by they way :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading people's answers to these types of things. That's awesome that eating raw has helped your headaches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, maybe I should be eating more raw foods, too! I get crushing headaches every now and then, and it's been difficult to manage them at all. That's so encouraging that you've found relief through just a change in diet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, reading your answers is making me crave a few things - giant zucchinis, kale salad, avocados. Yum. You're such a good fruit eater, too. Puts me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love kimchee too! I love reading these surveys - I always learn something new. I think I will post this on my blog too! We can compare notes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cantaloupe is not my favorite because it's often on the dry side, but yours looks nice and juicy...I could go for that. I like the survey, fun answers! I just remembered that I read durian is supposed to smell awful...I've never smelt any though.

    I got your zine by the way, thanks so much! I'm looking forward to reading it over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just realized how amazing nooch is and it's pretty much my favorite food... even though I'm not sure it qualifies as "food." But it should. Also, hummus dressing is The Best. Pretty much eat my weight in those two things weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome that raw food has helped your headaches! It is funny because I have had nasty headaches all this week while eating all raw. I dont know why my body hasn't reacted as well as I thought it was going to :( Love your answers to this survey, I'll probably steal it for my blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isobelle, it's amazing how it's flavors more than food itself we respond to. The garlic and tahini make the zucchini really something else.

    Molly, I was so happy when I realized that!

    Hannah, you should definitely consider giving it a try. For my part, I think it was the fact that I eat no refined sugar or breads on a raw diet. Sugar really kicks my headaches off.

    BM, I might even eat too much fruit, but whatever!

    Jesse, can't wait to see yours.

    Rose, cantaloupes seem to be killin' it this year. I looked up durian and apparently it smells so bad it's banned in certain hotels in South Asia!

    R+W, Eating your weight in nooch is certainly going to be a lot of nooch. Right on!

    VAVA, do you think your headaches are from lack of caffeine? It could also be the detox affects. Bummer, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, I know did you see the images with the signs that say "No explosives, no smoking, no durian"?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dang! You've been posting left & right. A lot of catching up to do. Glad to see you know what you like in terms of fruits & vegetables.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.