Search This Blog

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Stir-Fry Lunch

Hmm, it would appear we're moving backwards in time through the courses these last few days. First, dessert, then yesterday's post on dinner, and today a simple stir-fry lunch.
I had plans to make something but when G asked "What's for lunch?" he didn't seem completely thrilled with my answer and wasn't sure it'd be filling enough. Problem was, we didn't have much in the refrigerator and it's been raining like crazy all day so I wasn't about to go out and buy a few more things (though I did manage a run and shaved a whole minute off my 2 mile time! But that's running. Not trudging slowly with bags of food.)
When the fridge is in dire straights and you've got a hungry dude on yr hands, stir fries seem to the the quickest, easiest, most forgiving way to go.


I started some brown basmati rice and grabbed and chopped anything I could from the fridge. One measly head of broccoli from the crisper, an everlasting cabbage and some tomatoes were the vegetables. I heated up some onion, garlic, and ginger (but of course!) in a skillet, threw the vegetables in, added some frozen edamame for protein, and mixed in the cooked rice at the end. Topped with soy sauce and red pepper flakes. I also added sriracha to my bowl.
Warm on a rainy day and a good way to use up the last pickins from the fridge.
Have a good night; I'm off to come up with some brilliant breakfast idea since it seems like we're coming to that.
What's your favorite meal of the day?

6 comments:

  1. I think breakfast... but I just have a flat white and a piece of toast or a slice of cake, not much of a meal really, I am Italian, we don't have big breakfasts! ... still, I love my coffee :-), so that is my favourite meal of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Story of all of our lives, pull out the leftovers and try to make something awesome with it.
    You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious sounding stir-fry! Simple but yummy i'm sure. And right on with the sriracha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good stir fry, so easy and a great way to use up produce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alessandra, any meal with cake sounds awesome!

    Get Skinny, thanks. I owe the month-old cabbage big time.

    VAVA, sriracha would make even a dud of a stir fry shine.

    Lauren, agreed. So easy I wonder why I don't do it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like you had a lot more than just 'pickins' in the fridge! Does this mean there was no food left for dinner?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.