Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

New Raw Branding, Old Raw Standbys

One of the last things I said to G last night as we drifted off to sleep was not "I love you," or "Good night," but - "bagels." To which he replied, "bagels."
We had plans for a bagel lunch date (how New York cute) but I just couldn't bring myself to follow through. I haven't been in the best of moods lately, nor feeling so physically well and I remembered how happy and calm I was when I was eating exclusively raw the other week. There are probably other factors involved but who am I to turn down an opportunity to eat delicious food?
I was lunchless, having anticipated BAGELS (pumpernickel with vegan cream cheese, tomato, and onion if you care - yes I planned it out), so I walked across town to a health food store I used to frequent, Lifethyme. Along with groceries, they have a deli and a hot/cold food bar including raw options, and a juice bar. I picked up lettuce, sprouted beans, marinated greens, and sprouted lentil hummus from the raw food bar, and sat in the park to eat it. It was really filling and I'm glad to have gotten in some protein because a lot of my personal raw food choices don't include much. The sprouted lentil hummus especially was so good! It was spiced almost like a curry. They list the ingredients at the bar but I didn't pay too much attention. I also sort of impulse bought a Beet-Ginger Zukay Kvass drink.
I wanted to like it more than I did, but it wasn't terrible. I was expecting it to be a little sweeter but they added sea salt. It is nice to have something that isn't crazy sweet though, like most bottled juices. It did however turn my lips purple, which was a little embarrassing. And my pee red, which was more entertaining than embarrassing.
I made one more stop on my lunch break to pick up some fruit and raw granola for a snack later:



G actually introduced me to these when we were both eating raw; he being the more adventurous of us. These raw granola clusters are really good. They come in 4 different flavors - berries I've never heard of - and are really hearty. They're chewier than crispy but I don't think that detracts from anything. I eat them right out of the bag but I bet they'd be great like a traditional granola with some raw nut milk.
But we can't be adventurous all the time and when I got home, I made my usual for dinner: salad with a couple of sides.


That's red pepper hummus (not raw) with the carrots rather than the carrot pate because that just sounded too wild. The salad included greens, tomato, broccoli, mushrooms, and tempeh with balsamic and nooch.
I also ad-libbed a quick salsa to eat with some corn chips.


Chopped tomatoes, jalapeno, garlic, onion, salt, and apple cider vinegar. Nothing crazy. It was okay.
Sorry about the crappy lighting; it's raining here, ruining the second part of my plan to be happier: running. It's tough for me to get outside sometimes but I always feel so much better after I've pushed myself for a run. I used to love running in the rain, but in an urban area like this (and with my nerdy glasses) I think it's safer not to. For those of you who run, do you brave the rain and head out in it? Or do you find a different way to exercise? So, running and more raw tomorrow; that awesome lentil hummus really inspired me to sprout some stuff!
Tonight's happiness comes in a bottle...if only G would get home with the beer.

11 comments:

  1. Oooooh the granola!! I've been on the prowl for vegan, gluten free granola for such a long time! Everything I find seems to have honey in it. I am so impressed by your decision to forego the bagel because bagels are my fav and it sucks to have to turn them down...so sometimes I don't and they make me feel so yucky. Nice salad and that salsa looks so fresh and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder if you're ailing due to that old bowl you bought last week? Possibly lead poisoning or radioactive if it's Fiesta Ware.

    If not that, no excuse for bailing on the bagel date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want bagels! Your raw food pics look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your raw food lunch gives bagels a run for their money. And, the granola sounds good too. I gave up granola years ago because I find it generally addictive and it's usually not that waistline friendly.

    Do you wear contacts? I usually wear glasses, but if I want to ride my bike or run in the rain, I put in my contacts.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beet kvass totally turned my pee pink too!! I really liked it, but I'm like, 12, and get all excited when my lips turn colors after eating something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, btw, the Sabra coupons arrived! Thanks so much! I got me some pine nut hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, that beetroot drink reminds me of the time I has beets as a "weekly veggie" on AtV. Everything that came out of me was RED or PINK! I was terrified at first (totally not expecting the "outcome". heh), but after a while it was kinda silly and fun. I think I was eating leftover beet burgers for daaaays. Those guy sre tasty. But drinking beet juice? No thank you!

    xo - S

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nevermind I found the granola ;) I also found Kaia brand raw vegan granola and it was like 8 ounces more for a dollar extra so I went that route. I'll let you know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i get those cravings also, like all of a sudden after eating SO well, ill be like, we are going to del taco. granola is God, i mean good...

    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Purple lips - awesome. I wouldn't have guessed you for a runner. Running is rather torturous to me. But I do it sometimes. I'm more of a speed walker. On a treadmill with a magazine. I prefer dance parties with the kids. Dance party for you and G tonight, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That granola sounds great!

    I've slacked off on the whole eating raw thing and I have ZERO enerygy lately. I have got to get back with it next week. I feel so much better when I eat mostly raw.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.