Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

"Fail Better"

Tonight's words of wisdom come from the not quite as miserable as he's often presented Samuel Beckett. I've been reading a book of conversations "With and About Beckett." In fact, I was reading it with an afternoon beer earlier.


When I got bored of reading, I got back in the kitchen and made a tofu ricotta and summer squash tart:


 This was inspired by the amazing Jess Scone, who automatically wins because hers was a pizza! But, yeah, this was pretty gross. I saw her post and had to make it. I remembered I had a pie crust in the freezer, I ran out and bought squash at the farmer's market, picked the basil and thyme from our little fire escape garden, carmelized some onions, (the tomatoes were store-bought, I'll admit; another reason Jess wins) whipped up a lemony tofu ricotta, and baked the sucker.


And, well, I'm pretty sure that the crust having been in the freezer so long was tainted with so much freezer smell and general jostling (you can see its missing some crust) that it ruined the flavor of everything. What a waste.
But I'm probably going to eat the rest of it; that's the tragic comedy of life that Beckett wrote about (okay, well, maybe issues deeper than dinner). And tomorrow's dinner, I'll "try again. Fail again. Fail better."

What are you reading?

9 comments:

  1. That is such a bummer that the crust was gross! It looked so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah no that's a shame! It looks so nice.

    I've just finished "The poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver. Amazing story about life in the Congo told by the daughters of a Baptist missionary. A must read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it looks beautiful! Bummer about the crust...similar things have happened in my kitchen. Sounds like the innards are salvageable though! Maybe you could scrape it out of the crust and toss it into a salad or some pasta.

    I love reading with a good beer and book. One of my favorite reads was The Collected Letters of Lewis Carol...sounds like a similar vein as the Samuel Beckett book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished 'Bossypants' by Tina Fey. My only complaint was that it was too short. Wish I could continue reading it forever.

    Sorry your pie failed. Did you pre-bake the crust?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, I hate that it didn't come out well...I saw the original omni post of that pizza a couple weeks ago and it's been on my 'to make' list, but I wasn't going to use tofu ricotta. Hrm. Think I should still try?
    I love that beer!
    I just finished reading 'Sarah's Key' and 'Diary,' both were great. Now I'm reading 'The Feast of All Saints' By Anne Rice. I used to love her and I somehow haven't read this one, so it's on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading "Ganesha Goes to Lunch" and a Gazillion Cookbooks. Food & Beer. You are living the GOOD life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tart looks so good.....sorry that it didn't turn out good. I so hate when that happens. I'm not reading anything right now. I can't seem to find the time. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the words about how it looked...haha, I tried.
    Thanks also for the book recommendations! I am always looking for something to add to my huge pile of "to reads."

    Lacey, you might be able to do something better than I did. Plus pizza dough is awesome. What kind of cheese were you planning on using?

    Shen, I should have known you'd be a Tina Fey fan. That book does look pretty funny. And yes, I pre-baked the crust. Ugh so gross.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.