Search This Blog

Friday, August 12, 2011

Drinks and Desserts

I just finished the newest issue of my vegan zine, Marmalade Umlaut (this one with summer recipes, Peaches lyrics, cartoons, and foods of New York cliques.) If you're interested in getting a copy, email me your mailing address and I'll send you one gladly. I also set up a PayPal thing on the sidebar there, more as a suggested donation than anything else. I'm more than a little uncomfortable with the idea of promoting myself so I'm not going to do it. I love sharing goods and information for free among friends, which I honestly consider you all.
In that light, let me share with you my drink this eve: a Lemon-Berry cocktail, a recipe from the zine:


Using...cucumber infused Hendrick's gin! This stuff is fancy. (G will be your gracious hand model throughout the night.)



The drink is basically muddled blackberries and raspberries, lemon slices, and fresh thyme (I picked it from our fire escape "garden.") Once good and muddled, add a squirt of agave syrup, plop some ice on top, douse with about 1 1/2 oz. gin, and fill the rest of the glass with seltzer. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this would be bangin' topped with framboise rather than seltzer - which I do happen to have in the fridge, but I'm not going to open that tonight. Some of us have work tomorrow. It would also be delicious with mint instead of thyme.
Other things most delicious in moderation: ice cream. I have actually never been an ice cream fan, vegan or not. But I did get a serious chocolate craving the other day and remembered the banana in the freezer. And remembered everyone's posts about delicious banana soft serve. So:


I finally made it and it was more delicious than I could have imagined! SO good. Topped with fresh strawberries. I made it again the next day and topped it with strawberries and chopped almonds. This could really get dangerous; it's so easy. And cheap!
G and I went to go see a friend's band play the other night and coming back home (maybe a little tipsy) we started talking about ice cream so....we stopped and picked up a pint - of ice cream, not beer. (A little less cheap than bananas.)



This actually isn't a brand I've seen around before. They do make dairy ice cream, as well as sorbets, but this was coconut based and a really nice end to the night. Light and minty with a dark crunch from the cacao. I'm not sure if this is a slippery slope or not. We passed up some Coconut Bliss because SOMEONE liked the AESTHETIC of this carton. I may have to go back to the store for some Ginger Cookie when SOMEONE'S not looking...
What's yr favorite treat? (Or, dare I ask, what's yr favorite gin drink? I'm making gimlets next. Did I mention I love gin?)

7 comments:

  1. Very Cool...A vegan zine! I would love to support it. If you want to send a copy let me know. I am at a different address this summer which I can e-mail to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a cocktail person, but that one sure looks good. Fresh thyme? I'm a little worried about that, but also intrigued. But coconut based mint chip sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Hendrick's! I never buy it myself, but one of my brother's always has it around, and I always invite myself to some. :D I usually just stick to the boring old gin and tonic. Your muddled berry drink is elegant, sounds fabulous. You're tempting me to make a run to the liquor store.

    I made some frozen banana ice cream last night too!

    Oh, and I do think you should promote yourself. I'm really enjoying both issues of your zine...clever, whimsical, funny. And, I love your drawings and the cover collages. I'm meaning to post about some of the recipes and give you a plug. I'll be buying this new issue for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That drink sounds so yummy and refreshing! And I love the color! I'm now craving a bowl of banana soft serve so I'm probably going to cramp your style and make it for dessert tonight! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ginger cookie ice cream..hmm that sounds SO GOOD!i so want to like banana soft serve, but i jsut cant. i like the idea of it being so healthy and like you said, cheap:)

    lately for dessert ive been into carob syrup (almond mild,stevia and carob powder) over vanilla soy ice cream.

    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gin was my first bad experience with alcohol, so I can't stomach it. Nice tumbler glass.

    The hairy limb in the background of the last pic totally detracts from any aesthetic influence I may have potentially felt from the carton design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aimee, of course I'll send you one if you're interested. Email me your new address!

    Jessica, the thyme in this drink was just barely perceptible but it was nice! Maybe I just like using anything from my measly "garden."

    Rose, I think I remember you mentioning something about your brother's sweet stash...Gin and tonics are delicious, and usually my gin drink too - just trying to branch out these days ;) You and Shen have inspired me. And thank you so much for supporting the zine! I will get it out Monday!

    VAVA, I'm afraid I won't be able to stop freezing bananas!

    Michelle, I KNOW! I think I have to get it. Can you get those flavors out there?? The carob syrup sounds amazing too, though. So simple.

    Shen, haha, sorry. G's ape like limbs are so long they can't be contained sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.