Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Clean Finish, more like

Today's food was a little less glamorous than yesterday's but I did manage to cross another recipe off my to-make list that had been on there for way too long: Terry Walters' Carrot-Cashew-Miso Spread from her book, Clean Start.
I schmeared it on a piece of bread and topped it with some spring mix greens. Frisee!


You can just see the orange peeking out. I really enjoyed this recipe. It reminds me of the walnut-miso dressing in Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Color Me Vegan, which I've made twice before. I did love that; it's rare that I repeat a recipe (you see how much catching up I have to do!) but I think I like this spread even better. The carrots temper the saltiness of the miso much better and the cashews make for a creamier spread. Not to mention, it is super easy to make!
There are a lot of things I've been eying in Clean Start and it's definitely recommended. It has gorgeous photos, delicious sounding recipes, and it's laid out by season, something I particularly enjoy in cookbooks (though technically this recipe was in the Fall chapter.) Lucky you, though - this recipe is online here.
I had the bread spread with a salad:


Greens mix, artichokes, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, and red onion. Dressed with mustard/balsamic/nooch/pepper.
My start to the day was not quite so clean. I had a banana and a cherry-chocolate chip scone that I made yesterday and was going to blog about but I brought them into work and they got devoured, so no photos. It was the recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking, also by Ms. Patrick-Goudreau.
Lookit me and all my cookbookin' lately, eh? Have a good night, guys.

7 comments:

  1. Oooh that spread sounds amazing! I'm totally impressed with all your cookbooking ;) I totally hear ya on the not clean, I'm thinking about testing a recipe idea I have this weekend if I have time. And it DEFINITELY isn't a clean recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Miso based dressings. My mom has an All Miso recipe book by Terry Hagler, I think is the name, the same chic who did "The Tofu Cookery" book. And it's great! All sorts of easy miso themed recipes, old school! Before the concentrated bouillon, msg'y type cubes!
    Salad is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love clean start! Sometimes I just like to open it to stare at the pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine what the spread would taste like? Sweet and salty? I want a spread that is cheezy. Maybe I'll just use Tofutti Cream Cheese...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am about ready to get another cookbook, but I feel like I have too much to get through - like you said. I did make a few things from the one you sent me, hope to post shortly. Color me Vegan sounds like such a clever idea - and that spread sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clean start is on my to get list. Looks like I may be getting it sooner that I had planned. :o) The spread sounds amazing!

    That salad looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. VAVA, we all gotta indulge every once in a while...looking forward to yr recipe testing!

    Get Skinny, I do too but I would never have thought there'd be an entire cookbook about miso recipes! The Happy Go Lucky Vegan recently posted about a miso/green tea marinade which sounded amazing. Also, I loved your last post on Clean Start - that's probably what put this in my head.

    Dianne, that's mostly all I do with all my cookbooks.

    Shen, it's a hard flavor to describe. But I hear you on the cheezy spread - did you see Bianca's post about walnut cheese today? She put it on a bagel JUST LIKE TOFUTTI!

    Jessica, what's next on your cookbook list?? Color Me Vegan is great.

    Michelle, the spread is good but I'm not quite sure what to put it on besides bread!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.