Search This Blog

Monday, July 4, 2011

Red, Brown, and Blue Brownies

Another semi-twisted 4th of July dish. Red, brown, and blue may not go together as well as the classic red, white, and blue but this was sort of an impulse-make and while I wasn't sure I had all the ingredients for a vegan blondie, I knew that out of all my many cookbooks and all the vegan variations on brownies that I could whip some up pretty easily with what I had on hand.
The original inspiration was Veganomicon's Fudgy Blueberry Brownies, which I've never actually made but have drooled over before, and then I remembered the strawberries I bought this morning as well as all the gorgeous berry dishes I've seen around. The recipe I worked from was the Maple-Walnut Brownies in How it All Vegan.


Here's my tweaked recipe:

1 1/3 c. white WW flour
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. agave syrup
1/3 c. water
1/4 c. oil
2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 pint bluberries
3 large strawberries, sliced

-Preheat oven to 350* (I know, I know. It's hot.)
-In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder + salt. Add agave and water (or maple syrup and 1/4 c. water), oil, and vanilla and mix gently until just combined.
-Gently fold in blueberries.
-Pour into a greased or parchment paper-lined 8x8 pan and top with sliced strawberries.
-Bake 25-30 minutes.


I'm sure this would work with any of your favorite brownie recipes. This is just the recipe I used since I had everything. Does anyone have any favorite blondie recipes, besides the one in VCTOYCJ?
Are you more of a vanilla or a chocolate fan?

I hope you all had a happy and relaxing 4th of July. I didn't do much celebratory stuff, but I took a walk around the hood (after watching Do the Right Thing, I had to!) and took in the sights of everyone else's stoop-front parties. G and I also went up to the roof to watch the fireworks (Macy's and illegal ones!) for a bit. Easy day.

14 comments:

  1. Those brownies looks delicious!! I've never made blondies before but I've been eying this recipe for a while! http://www.manifestvegan.com/2011/01/white-chocolate-orange-blondies/#more-6876 It is gluten free but if you swap out the flours for all purpose flour and omit the xanthan gum it should work I think? I am definitely more of a chocolate girl :)

    So jealous of your rooftop access! Hope you enjoyed the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your share experience with us. I just want to say: your post is too useful to everyone!!!!! I would like to visit your blog everyday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so tasty and I absolutely love berries and chocolate! I'm in the middle with flavors though. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH! I LOVE THIS!! You are so fabulous, you AND these brownies! YAY!

    I wish I could have some air shipped to me RIGHT NOW! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very appealing combo and one I may just make as strawberries are everywhere at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite blondie recipe is from theppk.com- besides some soy yogurt, it has really simple ingredients and comes out perfectly every time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had any types of berries in brownies before, but I can imagine they were good! I like chocolate and vanilla equally, but oddly enough, I've never had a blondie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't really gotten into vegan baking. I have the smallest sweet tooth, it seems like. But when I want sweet, I want chocolate. I think this looks like a great Valentines dessert, especially if you exaggerate the strawberries to look like hearts. I'll have to remember this come next February.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't say it better than Gucci Outlet Online.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guys, these brownies were not that good. I wrote this before I tried them. If you do make it, I'd use wild blueberries, which are smaller and don't taste watery in the final product and maybe add some chocolate chips (which make everything better) to sweeten it because these also aren't super sweet.
    They are more like cakey brownies than anything else. However, they do taste better the next day, as evidenced by me devouring two after being stuffed already.

    VAVA, those blondies sound AMAZING. I will definitely try them after I get some white chocolate chips.

    Gucci Outlet Online, a shining beam of hilarity and hope, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear that the brownies didn't quite live up to the hype... But I bet if you could get your hands on dehydrated (chewy, not crispy-dried) strawberries, that might take care of the excess water. Now that sounds like a hit for sure!

    And they are very enticing, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the idea, Hannah - I actually have a dehydrator so I might try that until they're at a good texture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look so delicious. Great way to dress up brownies. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your brownies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This recipe is really simple,healthy and fun to make.Even perfect when you are in a hurry to make dessert to put on the table for guests.I`m sure browni lover loves this idea 

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.