Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Vegan Survey to Ease Out of MoFo

what's your favorite spice or spice blend? Cinnamon; it goes with everything. Even baba ganoush, I've learned!

you have $20 to spend on fresh groceries and produce for the whole week (with a fairly well stocked pantry of dry goods, legumes, grains, and spices). what do you buy? Chard, kale, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, butternut squash, beets, and apples. I'm imagining that to run me about $19 if I do it right.


what's your favorite way to make tofu? I am sacreligiously lazy with the ever adaptable tofu. The most I've ever worked with it is freezing it, marinating it in some totally basic marinade and then baking it.

vegan guilty pleasure? Raw desserts. Oh God. Expensive and fatty and sooo delectable.

if you could make anyone vegan, who would it be? Stress John. He's a disgusting meat man at work. I wonder if he'd actually burp less and breathe less heavily while eating while inhaling vegan lasagna, though. Probably not.

if you could only read one other vegan blog, what would it be? Oh no! This is really hard but Hannah's. Her goods always come out GOLDEN, she's so original in her recipe ideas, she seems like such a nice person, and she provides recipes for so many of her concoctions and her blog is mostly about baking: While I love cooking good vegan meals, I can do the simple stuff on my own - baking is my real love and that needs actual recipes rather than "throw this in, now throw some of whatever else you have in."

were you always interested in cooking, or did veganism change the way you saw and interacted with food? Veganism most definitely got me so much more interested in food, how to make it, what it is, the politics of it, the health aspect, etc.

excluding analogues, what new things have you tried that you probably wouldn't have as an omni? Nutritional Yeast. Various nut butters. Veganism has also brought me closer to both raw and "ethnic" foods so I would include a lot of that stuff too.

what is the one vegan staple that everyone seems to love, but you can't get behind?
Vegan ice cream. I mean, I like it enough but I certainly don't seek it out. I don't really like super cold foods.

what was your first "wow, I'm such a stereotypical vegan" moment? Peering down my brother's back to make sure he didn't stir the vegetables with the spoon that had touched the meat...

first recipe you veganized?
Martha Stewart cookies! I am very proud of that. And they came out well!




what would you like to veganize, but haven't yet? Haha, bouillabaisse. Is that possible?

favorite kitchen utensil/appliance? FOOD PROCESSOR

most disastrous kitchen failure? HM. When I have to share vegan food with omnis the stress level somehow makes me fuck up automatically. I messed up the VCIYCJ pumpkin pie brownies for Thanksgiving last year because of a pan size discrepancy.

first vegan cookbook? Vegan with a Vengeance

what question about being vegan do you HATE answering? Not a question really, but my mom worries that I get enough of my necessary vitamins. I do. Spinach FTW. I also take supplements.

if you could tell the world one thing about vegans, what would it be? Just because we want to be nice to animals doesn't mean you can call us out on being assholes to stupid people, asshole.

funniest vegetable? Kohlrabi. I mean, come on!

what is a family recipe you have veganized? My mother was not one of those mothers with "recipes" and repeated, famed meals. The good recipes we ate were already vegan - the bad ones (tongue soup?) are best left alone.

weirdest food combination? I am the queen of this. I've eaten tomato sauce on salad, pickles with cinnamon-raisin peanut butter, and I'm dying to try Dynise Balcavage's banana/cheese sandwich. Am I eternally pregnant? (What a terrible state!)

is there something you wish you could veganize, but can't/couldn't?
Irish Car Bombs. Both Guinness and Baileys are lost to me now :( But I GUESS that's not the worst thing that could happen.

favorite ways to prepare tofu, seitan, tempeh, any other vegan proteins? I love steaming seitan sausages.




are your pets vegan?
I have a cat! So, no.



favorite non-dairy milk? Pacific low-fat almond original.

what’s one “vegan myth” you’d like to squash?
Haha, you said "squash." What a vegan.

6 comments:

  1. "baking is my real love and that needs actual recipes rather than "throw this in, now throw some of whatever else you have in."

    lol "that needs actual recipes" im learning that the hard way through many many ...MANY fails...

    stress john sounds pretty bad..sorry you have to work with him.im stealing this if its ok??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steal away - I can't remember where I found it..oops

    ReplyDelete
  3. ewww...meat man does not sound fun. bless his heart. I'd buy kale, apples, and carrots, too, for sure. Not sure what else. Oh, definitely romaine. And maybe a couple of oranges and organic strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok thank you FF! sorry im so behind on all your posts. certain blogs dont show up on my dash, i think thats why maybe. tysoon! and like i said ill catch up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I only just found this post... You are far too sweet! Trust me, I'm blushing like a ripe tomato over here. Thank you so much! <3

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.