Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2017

Vegan Market

I don't often get to the vegan pop-up shops around the city, but when I do I go hard! So much great stuff to choose from. I'm really lucky there's so many inventive options and such a fun scene here. This weekend was one I treated myself to.

Samosa lady to the left gave me a sample of Bhel Puri that was very good. Empanada people to the right. Screamers in the back had a breakfast pizza I wanted to try, Gone Pie out of the picture, and a whole bunch of other cool vendors.

met my friend Andy at the coffee shope next door and we wandered over when we finally got hungry. We split this seitan torta, which was amaaazzzzing. The vendor was Vegicano. Andy ordered the torta so not entirely sure what else was in it, beyond the obvious red cabbage slaw + corn, but damn. Thank you for being my hand model, A.

When I was there earlier there were more Peaceful Provisions donut options, when Andy and I went back, there were only 2 left! But that's okay because they all looked fantastic and this flavor was one I'd been eyeing on their instagram - this one is stuffed with rice pudding!! holy hell (it got a little smushed in my bag as I was biking around)

                                                the money shot. This was incredible.

                                                (I also ate some healthy shit in between)
a Gone Pie rice crispy treat - peanut butter + brown rice syrup crispy treat inside covered in chocolate with a chocolate lil pig on top.

                                              There ya go. That's enough sugar for now.

12 comments:

  1. You definitely landed the jackpot with this market! The torts looks phenomenal, as does the donut and rice crispy treat! I need to find a market in these parts...or go to Beet Box. ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's Fat Tuesday, so treat yrself now or never! Or...some other time ;)

      Delete
  2. That torta looks so delicious!! And a vegan doughnut filled with rice pudding?? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how good the torta was. Perfectly juicy seitan.
      Rice pudding used to be one of my favorite desserts, and I'd eat a vegan version plain now, but stuffed inside a donut was EVEN BETTER

      Delete
  3. Oh god, a Rice Pudding donut! Damn! I love Rudy Ramos! His Veganaise zine is so sweet. Darby follows him on Instagram, he posts the best looking eats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, I didn't know anything about Veganico or Rudy OR his zine, but I'm glad we patronized his stand - I'll have to ask Andy if he knew, he's on top of the zine/punk scene more than I am. I'll check the IG out now!

      Delete
  4. This market looks amazing!! You definitely had some great food, I love how fun the donut looks with all the colorful sprinkles. I would NEVER think to put rice pudding in a donut but I bet it was amazing. The rice crispy treat looks great too! That torta is drool worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never have thought to do it either, I mean it's not like it's NECESSARY but it was gooooood. Super filling - the donut was like, heavy!

      Delete
  5. Yikes. I've never been to a vegan market, but I doubt anything around here could compare to the one you went to. The Gone Pie with the pig — whoa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my favorite GP treat actually went undocumented - a little lemon tahini cookie. Delicate and perfect.

      Delete
  6. Woah! that was the money shot! Good job stopping yourself to take a pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Gone Pie crispy treat looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.