Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Nepalese, grocery treats, homemade

The flipside of generally eating frugally like I wrote last post is being less worried about an occasional treat. Plus I got some tax money back (!) so I took Jarrod out for dinner at a local Nepalese place:

                                                               papadum with chutney

                                                                  the other sauces

             aloo paneer - potato & spinach. Jarrod got channa masala chickpeas (like always)

                                          dishin out the rice, I preferred the naan (like always)
Other treats: an everything pumpernickel bagel with tofu cc for breakfast since I had an early morning doctor's appointment


                               this yogurt was on sale, but still a treat. And a really good flavor.
Back to homemade:
                              carrot, tofu, broccoli, spinach stirfry with sriracha + soy sauce

                                 avo toast with black salt, nooch, cayenne, and hemp seeds

                                                                        pineapple!

baked tofu, which is the absolute most prep I'll put into anything. marinated in olive oil, Braggs, ghost pepper hot sauce, and a dash of liquid smoke - then baked. You'll see it in upcoming lunches.

13 comments:

  1. Mmmm, that baked tofu looks perfect. Also I love the idea of aloo paneer! I've never seen that. I've used tofu as a paneer sub before but never potatoes. Genius. As always, you make me crave bagels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my bad - it was aloo palak, I misremembered the name! It sounds great with tofu to sub for cheese though.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen the key lime flavor of Kite Hill, but I bet it's delicious! That looks like a perfect pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the flavors of Kite Hill are good! If you see them on sale, I'd highly suggest snagging some.

      Delete
  3. Baked tofu always hits the spot. As do poppadoms. They're like enormous crisps, which is why they're wonderful. More power to the almond yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, though, papadom has a weird aftertaste - is that just me? I like them with the chutney but they're kind of a tart salty flavor that I get bored of quickly. They're great with tamarind sauce though.

      Delete
  4. I'm entirely too distracted by the pumpernickel everything bagel!!! Where did you find such a wonderful flavor?? I think i only found it once at maybe bagels on the square....?
    Your avocado toast easily beats about every overpriced version i've seen. I can't believe you use ghost pepper on, well, anything! That stuff is like scary blow your head off hard core spicy.
    Glad the feds gave you back some money :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bean!!! They really have good bagels, I'm not sure where they source them from. Yeah, I can't belieeeeve the 8-10$ avo toasts that people buy out sometimes! Terry Romero's instagram gave me some ideas on how to up the avo toast garnish game when she was writing her protein Ninja book. Scallions is another great topper.
      Yeah, I was a bit afraid of the ghost pepper sauce - I don't put it on much else but it wasn't too hot in the marinade. I figured the rest of the salad stuff would cool it off anyway.
      Hope you got some cash back too!

      Delete
  5. Dang I guess it did erase my comment, round 2. Nice use of the tax return. Query - Did the aggressive Surgeon Generals warning behind Jarrod make you order less or more wine, ahahah, if at all cause I notice the wine list under yer pampadums. Which reminds me to check out the new vegan menu the Indian restaurant in town is promoting, I'd pretty much order the same things you guys have but get some pickle sides and an eggplant dish (even though eggplant burns my mouth damn it!) I like the sound of that tofu seasoning, I've got a stock pile of frozen tofu to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good eye! Pretty sure they were saying LESS WINE although we got none. The cheap, big Indian beers looked refreshing though.
      I Looooovve eggplant (bummer it burns yr mouth! I think i know the feeling,when I make baba ganoush that happens sometimes) especially Indian flavored but I am always looking for protein in a meal. I was also eyeing the mulligatawny soup!

      Delete
  6. Looks like you get better Pineapple than I do. Plus Bagels with Tofu Cream Cheese. Hawt boyfriend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He reads the comments waiting for someone to comment on what a babe he is, so thanks for noticing.

      Delete
    2. lol, I temper my creepy creepness but yeah, Jarrod's like a triple threat: smokin' hawt, scholarly smart and a Boston brawler!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.