Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2017

Food & Art & Food again

Same breakfast all this week:

oats, chia seeds, dried cranberries, goji berries, pepitas, fresh blueberries, almond milk (actually the Almond Breeze almond/coconut blend - it's really good!)
Lunch all this week:

                 raw kale, baked tofu from aforementioned prep, roasted kabocha squash.

                                                          ~~Nutter Butter break~~

                                        currently reading. QUITE timely. Really mind blowing

                                  raw kale, tomatoes, roasted kabocha, avocado, chickpeas
It felt like a reaaalllly long week, and I am kinda busy this weekend so I took an extra day off and went to the Queens Museum on the second to last day to see the Mierle Laderman Ukeles exhibit. It also happened to be the first gorgeous and edging on warm day in quite some time.

The Unisphere, last featured in this post  from the summer. Notable but not quite noticeable is the ice cream truck in the distance! Like I said, it was *edging* on warm this day, haha!
Ukeles' main project is Maintenance Art - she followed around and worked with primarily sanitation workers over a course of years, but also cleaning people, janitors, etc. Her work is informed by the Wages For Housework movement of the 70s, if any of you are familiar with that, as well as having a kid and balancing a child with doing her art.

This piece is an arch created out of garbage and topped with protective gloves - from sanitation workers (sanmen, she calls them,) Con Ed workers, firefighters, etc.


There is also a room with a permanent display of where New York gets its water. The walls are newly decorated with posters from the No DAPL movement. Water is Life!
After this, mad with hunger, and kind of lost on where to go, I ended up at Liquiteria for a fast, nutrient-rich "mudslide" smoothie.


                                        and later at home... couple of dark chocolate bites.

16 comments:

  1. Crises of the Republic sounds like the perfect read to induce heartburn in spite of the extremely healthy food choices pictured. And the food does look delicious as well as healthy. I'm glad your having nice weather. I think I remember a nice day at the dog park recently, but it's being washed away by rain, rain, rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lot of exasperated sighs reading that book. And some "have we learned NOTHING??"

      Delete
  2. Hooray for warm weather! Oh, yes - we are in crisis. I'm teaching some Transcendentalist excerpts in my American Literature class, including a little Civil Disobedience by Thoreau.

    I can honestly say that the arch of garbage and gloves is the coolest piece of art made of trash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, she mentions Thoreau in the second section. I remember reading his piece a long, long time ago.

      Delete
  3. oh cool, I read an article recently about Ukeles' work and I'd love to see a show of her work. <3 I need to do a better job of making a bunch of food all at once so I can eat it all week for breakfast and lunch. I really don't mind eating the same thing for lots of days in a row. I like it way better than the uncertainty of not knowing what to cook every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to see it! She's so wonderful.

      Delete
  4. The book you're reading couldn't be more perfect for this particular time. Your food looks delicious as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Love that arch with the gloves! Also, that baked tofu looks perfect. I've been drinking the Almond Breeze almond-cashew blend, and it's my fave. Also love the almond-coconut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very proud of the tofu! I'll try the almond-cashew! It sounds good. I bought this one because it was on sale, and am glad i did.

      Delete
  6. So cool, thanks for sharing Mierle Laderman Ukeles, I wasn't familiar with her. This also reminds me to look for Arendt's book in our shop, every day is another wave of 'Are you fucking kidding me?!' Wolves, bears, bumblebees I just want to scream blood. On the other hand good looking avocado and kabocha love going on here. I'm also beginning to think that I am so familiar with your bowl, that maybe the bowl I think I have that is the same as yours is not the same at all... And on a positive feel, the other day a girl was looking for the old paperback Sisterhood is Powerful and felt like she was never going to find a copy. I knew we'd had it/dug around/found it and the joy on her face was the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like you know where to find everything! I've been taking days off work and visiting other bookstores instead and am just baffled at their organizational thought process, ha!

      Delete
    2. If you ever make it out to our shop, it might blow your mind, we have to know where everything is cause it's grown organically over 43 years with my mom's totally bizarre non intuitive organizational logic.

      Delete
  7. Good looking breakfast action there (true confession: i eat the exact same breakfast almost every morning)
    What a great way to spend a day off! I love visiting museums and feel like i will never be able to see all the exhibits i want to... liquiteria is great for those serious smoothies, i feel like they don't cut corners with ingredients and keep me full a good while.
    Hopefully the bizarre warm weather lasts a while, i certainly don't miss the snow!
    Ttrockwood
    Thanks for the everything pumpernickel bagel intel! Near union sq i go to Joe for coffee but obvs will hit the bean next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat the same breakfast *most* mornings, but do try to switch it up a little.
      I'm taking off a few weekends from work so I'm try to get out and do more cultural stuff but basically I've just been in my apartment, haha.
      And yeah! I used to have Liquiteria smoothies for lunch often. maybe when it gets warmer I'll go back to that. They're good.
      Joe has better coffee than The Bean, that's for sure but the bagel game is on pointtttt !

      Delete
  8. What a cool idea for an art exhibit.

    Wish I could comment on the reading material, but that stuff is way too intellectual for me. I do know a fantastic looking Avocado when I see one, and I see one above!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.