Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2017

Back to Basics

I've been making more of an effort to spend less money, hence more food at home and more basic stuff, which is generally what I enjoy anyway, so that's good. I've also just been all screwed up for the last month and a half, really frustrated and lost. made the mistake of going through old photos of all the elaborate, healthy meals I used to make. I don't really do long cooking projects anymore, which is only kind of a shame. I genuinely enjoy cooking but I've been busy with other projects instead, and living life in a world rather than browsing food blogs all day. So it's a trade-off. I try to get in one solid day of prep a week. It's not exciting but this is what I've got for you:

                       raw collards, tomatoes, avocado, tofu, roasted sweet  potato, hummus

                   onion, spinach, white beans, mushrooms sauteed with rosemary, olive oil + salt

                                                      with roasted fingerling potatoes

            miso soup with kale, seaweed, mushroom, tofu, and spices - topped with avocado

                 toasted mini WW bagels with avocado, black salt, and cayenne for breakfast

                                                            also mini: Justins PB cups

                                             coffee, mini bagels with peanut butter

                   tofu, carrot, broccoli, spinach stir fry with spicy Korean paste + soy sauce

                                     ~~reading break~~ I like how the book matched the cup

                           roasted potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, black bean sautee with garlic
I have a backload of pics so hopefully more updates soon. Keep on livin.

10 comments:

  1. Everything you showed is exactly what I think of when I think of Food Feud! It all looks really tasty and satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, I guess I have my repertoire! makes it easy.

      Delete
  2. Aw, sorry you've been feeling frustrated and lost. :-( The food looks good though. Love the simple meals! I need to eat that way more often, honestly. Also, I'd never think to add avocado to miso soup, but that sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! a friend tipped me on to that and whenever I have avocado when I make miso soup, I add it. The texture combo is great.

      Delete
  3. I love all your homemade meals and i always get some great inspiration from them! I have to credit you for my own miso soup of stuff that is a regular part of my life now :))
    And so what if you don't do long major cooking projects any more. Life changes, priorities shift, how you eat and what you want to eat shifts, it's just a shift away from big projects and towards something else.
    How have i not yet found the mini justins cups???
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks!! That makes sense.. it makes me feel better. Food does fuel other projects, of course, but yeah, it comes & goes in waves.
      my WF is so often out of stock on the regular Justin's dark that maybe they have the minis as back up. They're not a great deal, imo so I only buy them either on sale or as a desperate last choice!

      Delete
  4. Darby was just saying he wished he had a bucket of Justin's Cups. How's May Sarton? I usually need a family dinner to get me excited about making something more elaborate than my chop into a bowl and eat kind of meals, though because I had a bag of flour on the expiry threshold I've been doing a heap of fun baking which has been really nice. When's your latest zine coming out? I'm keen to order a bunch of back issues along with that :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I want a bucket too!!
      The may Sarton is not entirely my thing. I'd read one poem of hers a while ago that blew me away and so picked this up on a trade. It's nice, but, yeah...
      I just wish I had been eating more vegetables lately!! What is uppp with that.
      I'm doing a zine fest in early march, so hopefully I'll have another issue done for that! I finished one in December to give as gifts. Guess I forgot to mention that one, but I'll get some stuff together for you! Don't order anything, haha.

      Delete
  5. Ebb and flow - some months I wing it, and others I try to use cookbooks and blogs! It's all about balance, so I'd let yourself off the hook. You did recently bake some serious deliciousness, as I recall!

    What I always notice: lots of green in your meals! I've been "ebbing" on the green, so I need to take a cue. And green is a good fuel source, I'm happy to hear your are enjoying other projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happened a month and a half ago that would screw you up? Hmmmm....Sad!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.