Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2017

Lo Que Comia (What I Ate)

Hola mis amigos. I'm trying to teach myself Spanish because I feel like an IDIOT living in New York, or even this country, and not being able to speak Spanish. It's slow going and I'm probably going to annoyingly practice on you guys... haha. I'm at the food portion of vocabulary, so.
Anyway:

Actually, this is fitting. my friend Andy got back from a month in Mexico and brought back with him some tortillas and mole from an indigenous market so he made dinner! The cheese is Daiya. The rest of it is just mole sauce and avocado plus onions. Queso, mole, aguacate, y cebolla.

 Next morning still going strong with aguacate on a bagel (rosquilla!) with black salt and cayenne. Plus cafe.

lunch (almuerzo) ensalada: rice + chickpea, roasted beets, acorn squash, raw kale, tahini dressing. (arroz y garbanzo, remolacha, la calabaza, y col rizado.)

 For new years, I bought soba noodles, as the length is supposed to be good luck. It was a pretty quiet night - Jarrod and I stayed in and drank seltzer and watched the OA (!!!!) but I'm glad for it. Anyway this noodle bowl is soba noodles, los hongos (mushrooms), kale, and miso broth.

I dared to drink on the wild side - a slightly higher alcohol content kombucha and my beautiful gato negro.

 Another noodle bowl: soba, tofu, carrot (las zanahorias), broccoli, los hongos, and a spicy Korean sauce.

Noodles again, apparently. Spinach (espinaca), soba, lentils (lenteja), remolacha y coliflor with a tahini sauce, parsley, and cracked black pepper.
There were a few lunches this week with roasted sweet potatoes, beets, lentils, and raw collards, but I guess I didn't photograph a damn one.
 
Desayuno this morning: oats (avena) with tahini, raisins, and banana. Cafe on the side.
That's all for now. maybe something interesting will happen food-wise this week. I hope you feel like you learned something in this post,and it wasn't just annoying, haha! I may keep my lessons from now on off the blog but this was fun, thank you for humoring me. Also. Feel free to point out how wrong I am with my vocabulary!!!

13 comments:

  1. Love the Spanish lesson! I, too, feel like a jerk for not learning Spanish. It would have come in handy at work last month when we hosted an art show collab with a local Latino cultural center. And really just life in general. I opted to take French in high school (and for some reason, no languages in college) because I am an idiot. :-) The soba noodles sound so good right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took French too and even that is slowly drifting out of my brain.

      Delete
  2. I KNOW! I totally want to learn Spanish too! Then I think about how I barely know French and I live in a bi-lingual country...please use this space to practice as much as you like, the pictures with words helps me! Hax next to the Kombucha makes me realize just how small the kitty is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Spanish lessons! I agree with everyone and you in that I regret not learning Spanish.
    I always love seeing Haxan's sweet face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Como siempre su comida parece increíble! Como fue las tortillas de Mexico? Le gusta mejor que los tortillas de maíz aquí?
    Congratulaciones con sus trabjos de aprender español, va a ayudarte muchísimo aquí.
    ;)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lo que va a ayudarte con español es algunos apps para iphone para niños españoles, look for kids language games/apps in spanish to practice on the subway

      Delete
    2. muchas gracias!! When I get a little better I'll come back to this comment and figure out what you're saying, haha. I get most of it....

      Delete
  5. I often think if we had moved to Puerto Rico instead of St. Thomas, we would be fluent in Spanish by now. Great looking bowl food. Loved 'The OA', so imaginative. I hope they do a season two to explain a few things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still learn :)
      I hope they do a second season too. Did you watch Stranger Things? I thought they were similar in a lot of ways, and it's interesting what Netflix is focusing on making these days.

      Delete
    2. God bless Netflix. They are worth their weight in gold. I did watch Stranger Things (similar nose bleed scenarios for Eleven and The OA, gotta come up with a new idea there).

      Delete
  6. Felicidades ... on learning Spanish! Any vocabulary in another language is always worth the learning. And any soba bowl is always worth the eating. Que gato negro hermoso!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What are you using to practice Spanish? I have Rosetta Stone and I was doing so great, really helped when I went to Mexico 2x last year. Unfortunately I am not going this year so I don't have as much motivation to practice. But I need to, I mean, I live in Texas!! It's soooo practical to know.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.