Search This Blog

Friday, January 20, 2017

HellNawGuration

Hola, hola. Writing this while I listen to the lead-up to the Inauguration and trying to come to terms with it all. Took the day off work and am planning on taking a long bike ride & reading. Anyway. Here's some food I've been eating:

                                almost too much tofu cc on an everything bagel from The Bean

Jarrod's folks were in town for a day. We met them for a play and some food at Dojo in the West Village. This is the Vegan mama plate. Brown rice, steamed vegetables, and tofu with their famous carrot-ginger dressing on the side.

I mentioned last post I'm trying to teach myself Spanish. Also taking the opportunity to brush up on my French, which I learned through high school. Here's my "I'm vegan and I'm in France" vocab chat. No, sorry, no fromage either :(

        Kale, banana, orange, vanilla protein powder, almond milk + chia seed smoothie

                                                                           seltzah

                                                                  lentil soup prep

                            soup for the week +. also with mushrooms, turmeric, and spinach.

                                                      Haxan's over it. me too little baby.

my friends at 8 Ball Zines took over a storefront for the week leading up to the inauguration and hosted events and their radio show. This picture was from a poetry reading. I also went to a talk on the women's movement in Rojava later that week. Other events were movie screenings: a martin Luther King Jr. doc, Lizzie Borden's Born in Flames, one on John Berger - they also hosted garage sales with proceeds going to incarcerated women, and a sign making space for the Women's march tomorrow. good to be with good people doing good things in these times.

                                     other good things: pineapple and blackberry breakfasts

                        big salads: roasted beet, avocado, spinach, chickpea, tomato, nooch
 
                            homemade trail mix: walnuts, raisins, dried cranberries, cacao nibs

and new treats: Theo almond butter cups. I prefer their PB cups, and prefer Justin's to either, but here we are. Here we go.

16 comments:

  1. Bonjour! J'aime bien votre chat, et le plat vegan mama. When I lived in France, no one had heard the word 'vegan'. I said it to a couple of French people and they were 'nope, don't know that one'. I'm hopeful it's better out there now - if not, I'll send over some Theo almond butter cups while we wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty difficult when I was there ~10 years ago but I can only think it's gotten better.

      Delete
  2. One of my 2017 resolutions is to get back into reading blogs again, but I'm also trying to reduce screen time; basically, I'm setting myself up to fail. I have also been wanting to learn spanish because I wasted 7 years of my life learning French and I barely know any. Also, I love cream cheese but sometimes The Bean overdoes it. Haxan is a adorable as ever. Today sucks. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, pop in - pop out is how I do it. Whatever works! Happy New Year abby!

      Delete
  3. I've been struggling with today too. Being at work helped though -- since I work with a bunch of other people who are equally freaking out. We supported each other! But man......I don't even know. I'm trying not to think about it, but I'll have to face the facts at some point. :-( I wish I had that bagel right now. I miss bagels. Also, that mama plate looks so fresh and nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, watching that put in me in a bad mood but the black bloc kind of cheered me up, knowing that there's going to be resistance. We won't make these 4 years easy for Trump

      Delete
  4. I'd be too embarrassed to admit how many times I've tried to teach myself Spanish, and failed. Also tried many classes. I studied French, and can't seem to make the leap to Spanish. It's not for lack of trying, though. I'm kind of giving up. :( You seem to be making progress! The dish of berries and pineapple looks so appealing. The election (is that what we call it?) is ruining my appetite but causing me to eat a lot of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my diet also includes a lot of anxious snacking.

      Delete
  5. I feel like I was in a depressed haze yesterday. And today is no better so far. I still can't believe this is our reality for the next four years. I am right there with Haxan!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same but we can't keep feeling like that!!

      Delete
  6. I'm STILL hoping he'll be indicted, though next in line is just as terrifying. Darby was watching Samantha Bee last night and even though it's meant to make us laugh, I start sobbing all over again... this is probably why all I watch is horror and trash, helps me escape. I WISH I had a cat to cuddle right now! Glad to see you're keeping nourished body and mind xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the bench is stacked against us for a while.
      Here's hoping to lots of cute dogs coming into the bookshop for you to hug.

      Delete
  7. Good looking bagel there! I actually had nearly the same one a few days ago from best bagel on 35th but also with sliced pickles and onion.
    The lentil soup looks great, it's always nice when there's a good soup waiting for you at home.
    Can't remember the last time i was at dojo, it was one of my favorite spots in college
    You're gonna need more almond and peanut butter cups. Like four years worth or so.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to a real bagel shop in a long time. Soon, maybe.
      Yeah, there was so much soup! I brought some to a friend yesterday and there's still more.
      I hadn't been to Dojo in like 10 years. apparently they've raised their prices, but it was still cheap.

      Delete
  8. DJT insists he had the biggest inauguration crowd in history, yet not a peep about the marches yesterday. Every day is an even lower low. Thanks for 'getting out there' and trying to do right.

    That Vegan Mama plate looks really nice. Impressive grub all over this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the numbers are coming in and he got trrrrounced. Sad!
      i go back and forth between depression and fear and hope that people will rise to the challenge. Even the people who voted for him might see soon that he can't fulfill his promises.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.