Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2016

Early August

Another summer weekend:

                  Here's Haxan chilling in the window of the vacated bedroom. I guess it's hers now.

                                                       Avocado toast makin a comeback

This is spaghetti since I didn't have soba or anything, with soy sauce, tahini, garlic, ginger, agave, red pepper flakes, and scallions. I didn't get any pictures of it after I added sauteed kale and mushrooms, but trust that that is indeed what I did, and then ate this 4/5 days that week.

There is an occupation at City Hall to fire the police commissioner (he has since stepped down, but only to take another job elsewhere) and bring more visibility to the Black Lives matter movement. There are workshops, rallies, etc. Jarrod and I stopped by the first day. I've gone back a few times since then and Jarrod has also spent time there, doing a workshop with his organizing group.

Nicholas Heyward speaking about his son, who was killed by cops when he was 13 in 1994.
It got kind of chilly the first night so we stepped away from the park for a while to get some food at Buddha Bodai, an all vegetarian Chinese restaurant. Jarrod, our friend Andy, and I split a few things:

                                                                Hot and Sour soup 

                                           "David's Special" - mainly veg seafood

                                                                   Kung Pao tofu

                      Peacefood chocolate chip cookie after lunches has again become standard

J and I made dinner before watching Stranger Things: brown rice, chickpeas, tofu, mushrooms, onion, kale, avocado. By the way, if you haven't watched it - and I am often skeptical of popular TV series - Stranger Things is awesome.

                                                             Jarrod making the popcorn

                                     J breakfast: iced coffee, oats with berries + almonds

Sunday was beautiful, so I biked to the Williamsburg waterfront:


drank a V8 there and that was that.

15 comments:

  1. I love hot and sour soup! I love the cats not cops more! The pictures of the waterfront are beautiful! And I agree, Stranger Things is really an amzaing show. I find that Netflix really makes some quality shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that soup was great but looking at it now, I'm like how did I ever want to eat hot soup??

      Delete
  2. Everyone keeps telling me to watch Stranger Things, def got to give it a go. The veg seafood and Kung Pao tofu looks yum! Also typing Kung Pao has reminded me of Kung Pow - a really stupid film I haven't seen in a long time! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I didn't have much of the veg seafood but it was very interesting. I wasn't super hungry, which I'd had more.

      Delete
  3. I miss good toast covered in avocado. It's OK on a rice cake but not the same. Not the same. My son recommended Stranger Things and I was skeptical just like you. Maybe I should watch.

    The police situation makes me so sad. Black Lives Matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no it sounds so sad on a rice cake. Isn't there a gf bread you like? I used to only buy gf brown rice bread but it got expensive so now I care less. Try Stranger Things! It's impossible not to keep watching.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sad I never got to try Buddha Bodai before moving out to the west coast. I really need to visit and amend that error... Looks like another lovely, if steamy, summer in the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't say it's worth coming back for, but it's very good. I'm sure there's a lot of great Chinese veg food in CA though

      Delete
  5. I love everything in this post! Does Haxan tolerate summer heat relatively well? Avo toast might be making a comeback next week, as I return to work; such a great meal! That trip to the waterfront looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor haxan is definitely very hot. She's hiding under the bed right now. It's always amazing to me how filling avo toast can be.
      And yeah it was nice to get a cool breeze off the water on a hot day.

      Delete
  6. I agree with the graffiti a hundred percent. And eating cookies - I'm probably more than a hundred percent in agreement with that. Loving the wistful Haxan pic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots to comment on in this post! Haxan is so lucky to have her own room. Looks so spacious. Kung Pao Tofu is my favorite. The cops have really been pulling some crazy sh*t lately, it is good that Jarrod wants to enact positive change. I enjoyed Stranger Things, but have enjoyed other Netlifx series even more. You still gotta watch Penny Dreadful, season 1 & 2 are streaming now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, incredible looking Chocolate Chip Cookie. Hope the Chips were nice and melty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just started Stranger Things but I'm watching with a friend in another city so it'll be a little while before I can watch another ep!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.