Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Skies and Edibles

The weather has been muggy as hell. Spotty rainstorms at least make for some nice skies.

                                                                  Sunset from the roof

Jarrod and I made ourselves a nice dinner after a long weekend: sauteed kale and mushroom, pierogies, tofu, avocado.

A quick prep for the week: potatoes, carrots, kale with garlic, ginger, turmeric and red pepper flakes. This tossed with a can of chickpeas was lunch for most of the week.

 Berry + Acai juice was lunch one day when it was too hot to want to eat even the meal I had prepared.

                                     Kale-Apple juice served as dinner that night too I believe

                                        another late afternoon sky shot, from the fire escape

The kale and chickpea dish ran out; I went to Blossom for a Chicken Casesar salad. I prefer my salad with more...stuff...in it but mainly wanted as much green stuff as possible, plus enough protein. So this was fine. Creamy dressing, un-chicken, romaine, capers.

and dinner: avocado, tempeh bacon, arugula, onion, hot suace. quick and easy, that's how I like it these days.

10 comments:

  1. For a brief while last week, I could have empathised with you about the heat as London got hot and sticky. I couldn't have empathised with being too hot to eat though. I've never encountered this troubling phenomenon. The not enough stuff in your salad I have encountered though. Equally troubling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of London as hot and sticky! Unless you are stuck inside pea soup? I guess that would be sticky.

      Delete
  2. You have been getting stuff from Blossom more frequently. Seems to have taken the place of Paradise.

    Great zine this month. Too great, as it only took like five minutes to read. Jarrod's contribution was not the harrowing look behind bars I was imagining, but reassuring in the event I ever get sent to the big house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, actually Paradis is currently doing renovations but they also changed the way you order food - it's no longer readymade salads; it's creating a plate from a few options and that is way too overwhelming for me to handle. Although they did finally start labelling things as vegan, and not just randomly throwing cheese on their dishes.
      Try not to get sent to the big house.

      Delete
  3. Your sky photos are spectacular, and the food looks good, too. I've nearly forgotten what it feels like to be too hot to eat, since it rarely gets that hot here. Now that I've said that, we'll probably have a heat wave...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get a heat wave, you're allowed to eat more ice cream!

      Delete
  4. For muggy weather, those are some good looking meals. I on the other hand would have resorted to eating nothing but ice cream. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo at the top there! The pierogi dinner looks great- reminds me of late night visits to veselka when i was in college....
    I've been resorting to gazpacho and savory watermelon salads on the crazy hot days.
    I totally agree that salads need more stuff than just the greens and protein, maybe that was because it was a ceasar salad..?

    I think I remember that you're a fellow clif bar fan, they have a new nut butter filled clif bar that is really amazing- the coconut with almond butter is my favorite. They're actually on sale at WF now too :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love veselka! I don't think their pierogies are vegan though! Gazpacho sounds so great, I've actually been thinking of making some recently. What do you do to make the watermelon savory for the salad?? Just salt it?
      And yes! I've been looking for the nut butter filled clif bars! Glad you like them - i'll keep an eye out.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.