Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Punks in the Sun

more eating out: too much. Groceries soon.

                              chicken caesar wrap from Blossom. Better than I thought it'd be.

                        Usually I'm all over the coconut La Croix but this apricot one was good too.
Jarrod and I and a few of our friends went to the beach the other day!! Would you believe I haven't been to the beach in near 15 years?

The day was super hot, the water was wonderful. We only lacked for snacks...
Later, though, a snap thunderstorm  rolled through! While our friends were out getting food, Jarrod and I were shielding our eyes from sand whipping up, and chasing down rogue book pages and towels. Jarrod also took one last run into the water before we were shepherded off the beach.

                                                                      wild, right?

hung out with my friend J after work one night this week. We walked around and talked for a while, and eventually ended up at Terri, where I had never been! He bought a tiny apple pie. It was pretty good, a little dry maybe. He also got a wrap and a sandwich, I tasted the sandwich, a fish filet, but didn't get a picture. The one bite I had was pretty good, though I think as he ate more of it, he enjoyed it less.

breakfast oat jar, minus the milk. oats, coconut flakes, chia seeds, almonds, frozen blueberries, strawberry jam. almond milk later.

  finally whipped something up: sauteed garlicky kale and mushrooms, over lentils, with hummus.
On Saturday, I took the day off for a Doctor Know (from Bad Brains) benefit show in Tompkins Square Park with a bunch of old school New York hardcore bands: Antidote, Breakdown, maximum Penalty, Cro-mags, and Token Entry!! Oh man it was so amazing.

                                                                      Jarrod's shirt

                                                 Antidote!! From fuckin' Queens, kid!!

I don't often drink but I made this excuse... getting in the pit, in the sun, owning the Lower East Side, and pretending it was the early 80s again. Plus this show was good decompression, as it has been a hell of a few days - there was some apartment bullshit with my roommate so I feel the pain of Vegan Peace, who was evicted and is only trying find a place to get her cats back. There is a GoFundme page for her here. Help if you can, or share the news. It's an unenviable spot to be in.
Back to oatmeal bowls the next morning, though...

   same as always - oats, coconut flakes, chia, jam, frozen blueberries, almonds. Iced coffee.

and a bike ride lead me to picking up this kale sushi as fortitude under the sun and in the sweat.
Hope you guys are well. Again, with the roommate gone, I'll be a little more comfortable in my own apartment so more homemade meals will be back soon.

15 comments:

  1. Sad and frustrating news on the roommate front! I hope it is all sorted soon!

    Quite the opposite is the awesomeness of the beach and live shows! It sounds like an exemplary summer week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a wild week! One of the best.

      Delete
  2. Kale sushi!! Also, that bowl with the mushrooms and hummus and kale looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was pretty proud of that bowl. I forget how good sauteed mushrooms are!!

      Delete
  3. If you're going to get yourself to the beach every 15 years, you picked a cracking day to do it. Love the sky there. The kale sushi looks beautiful too, not as good as the sky though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go back once more before the summer is over...
      Skies tend to be more soul satisfying, but the sushi was good because I was hungry.

      Delete
  4. The thing about the beach is I've been to beaches fairly recently, but not in the water! The water here is COLD - nothing like East Coast ocean water, where it's warm and wonderful.

    I feel for Vegan Peace and her plight. She lives in Seattle where rents are ridiculously high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, the water was really nice!
      I hope she finds something soon.

      Delete
  5. The Chicken Caesar Wrap is what I want.

    Time for a full length pic of your legs, one at a time or both, with some splainin of what those tattoos mean.

    Sorry for the roommate agony. Maybe try renting out the other room on AirBnB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would like the wrap.
      I'll get to the leg tattoos eventually probably... they're still a work in progress and there's a lot goin' on, haha.
      I was thinking more like a house swap. You want my place for a month and I'll chill in the VI?

      Delete
    2. It could happen. I would ride your bike to Screamers and Champs?

      Delete
  6. Just to point out the obvious here, but perhaps someone whose name starts with a J and makes amazing breakfast bowls would like to be your new roommate......
    That's a long time not going to a beach! Hope you didn't get burned.
    your breakfast bowls always look so good....
    How was kale sushi? I can't decide if that sounds like a good thing or like a wad of steamed tough greens in rice.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, well no spoilers but that is the plan - J has to leave his place Sept 1 so he'll move in then, but it's vacant for a month. I think i'm just gonna budget as well as I can and enjoy the alone time.
      The kale sushi was good. I guess it was a little tough, but there wasn't so much of it that I couldn't chew. Still edible little bites.

      Delete
    2. Woah more juicy gossip! this blog delivers!

      Delete
    3. YAY!!!!! That's really exciting!!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.