Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Clafoutis and other baking

It being Bastille Day, it's only fitting that I share the pictures of the clafoutis I baked the other day. my roommate was out of town so I celebrated having the apartment to myself by holing up in a hot kitchen with the oven on for 2 days straight.

                         pitting cherries by hand. An arduous yet ultimately worthwhile task.

baked. I used the Urban Vegan recipe, as it's the only one I've ever seen, and probably the only one I'll ever need. Surprisingly simple to throw together, minus the cherry pitting, although Dynise says you can use other fruits. Cherry is traditional, however, and I've been eating tons of them recently.

The clafoutis is fairly mushy inside at first, despite having slightly burned the top, but it firms up as the days pass. I like this texture a little better.

Jarrod and I shared the clafoutis after we made a healthy dinner, of course. Rice alongside a saute of broccoli, mushrooms, chickpeas, Field Roast Italian sausage, and scallions.

                                                       a man and his coconut La Croix

another day another baked good. These were veganized coffee-blueberry muffins. They came out very nice and light, not too sweet. I'd add more blueberries next time.

 Lunches this week have been very sad and no-frills salads. Instead, here's a rogue photo of the Buffalo Chick'n wrap from Blossom that I ate last week.

                                          a new brand of chocolate cup? Don't mind if I do.

I also finished a new zine in between all the eating. This one actually came together fairly quickly, as Jarrod wrote a big piece for it about his experience staying vegan while in prison. An all-around pretty good issue, if I do say so myself. Stay cool, kids.

12 comments:

  1. That chocolate caramel cup looks unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh that clafoutis looks amazing!! I've never had it but must try!! So sad about what happened in France yesterday. :-(

    P.S. I'm gonna order the new issue! It's been way too long since I've ordered an issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's super easy to make yr own. I think it's delicious.
      & Thanks for the order! I sent it out today :)

      Delete
  3. It is comforting to see you back to baking. You used to bake constantly, in case you forgot. The Buffalo Wrap looks fantastic. Thanks for the heads up on the PB Cups. I will see if the Mr. can bring some back for me from Virginia. Looking forward to the new zine (hint) to read how Jarrod kept vegan in prison (I am sure you have already heard every sausage joke).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember! It was mostly when I lived with Greg, he was a fan, and we had the whole apartment to ourselves so I felt like i could take up the amount of time in the kitchen I did.
      I am not sure the PB cups would last the trip! They melt so easily.
      The zines went out today ;)

      Delete
  4. Oooh that caramel cup, yum!! Your baked goods look so fancy and I applaud you for putting the oven on. I can't deal with it in this heat and humidity. The wrap looks delicious and it's so funny how everyone is loving the La Croix nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stayed out of the kitchen while the oven was on and turned on the fan; it's the only way I could stand it.

      Delete
  5. Joyeux quatorze juillet! Well, more like dix sept, but still. I love clafoutis, but I've never managed to turn out a decent one. I salute yours! Vive the bake goods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. merci beaucoup! Toi aussi.
      and thanks for the kind words! is yrs usually too runny?
      maybe a vegan crepe is next?

      Delete
  6. The idea of turning on an oven lately is just complete madness...!! Although both the clafoutis and muffins look wonderful. There seems to be a plum and almond clafoutis that is a popular flavor too.
    New chocolate cups! Yum!! Although how did they ever survive made from coconut butter..?
    That coconut la croix is my crack.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh plum and almond sounds so delicate.
      And you are correct in thinking the cups self-destructed as soon as they neared the sunlight. What a mess.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.