Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

April Showers, May Shivers

The weather has been so RUDE here lately. Some days are warm enough to warrant iced coffee that beads up on the mug:


                                                    but most days are mugfuls of miso soup
Haven't done a grocery haul shot in a while. Also haven't done a Trader Joe's run in a while. Here's 2 for 1:

                       cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, kale, snow peas, blackberries

 almond milk, chocolate covered cherries, tofu, tempeh, raspberry jam, vegan cream cheese, beet hummus, 1 lemon, 2 CLIF bars. Unpictured Gingerade kombucha and jojoba oil.

                                       also picked up these tofu spring rolls for a quick lunch

with peanut sauce and sriracha. These were good. I wanna try making my own rolls some day.

was feeling really crummy the other day and saw a picture of mushroom congee in a vegetarian cookbook and was like, "Yes. Yes, that is exactly what I want to eat later." miso broth, lotsa mushrooms, lotsa ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes, snow peas, rice, and seaweed.

                                               my roommate's cat napping under the covers :)

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that bowl of Soup looks like it would cure anything. So your feline roommate looks just like Haxan? Like Single Black Feline?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather has been the same here! Cold and hot. It is definitely messing with my head! I think we are climbing out of the abyss this week, we'll see if it lasts.

    Mushroom congee sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait until it's warm, or at least a season. It's been too all over the place to even understand.

      Delete
  3. The congee looks uhmaaaaazing. I always throw loads of garlic, ginger and chilli down my throat if I'm a bit below par!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes garlic will cure pretty much anything. And a bit of spice.

      Delete
  4. I've never had mushroom congee, but I do want some! Soup is my go to when I feel crappy, physically or emotionally. How is Haxan dealing with a feline roommate? Shenandoah vegan in the VI is hilarious, single black feline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup is definitely a perfect comfort food - not decadent but healing.
      The roommate's cat is very reticent and lets Haxan have rule of the apartment, which of course Haxan loves. They are okay in the same room together if a person is in there with them, but the other cat will hiss in hear if Haxan gets too close when they're alone

      Delete
  5. Hope you're feeling better. Both soups look nourishingly delicious. Weather is all over the place here too from normal spring to mid summer like conditions. I haven't made it to our farmers market yet (working) but I've heard there is so much more produce for this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, weather has created a boon for farmer's markets, or so I've heard - I've been really slacking on visiting ours, which is ridiculous since it's basically across the street from my job.

      Delete
  6. I'm surprised you don't already make summer rolls! Those wraps are a little tricky to get a hang of but you're clever :) that congee does look amazing! Hopefully that rainy cold crap is finally behind us now....
    Ttrockwood
    PS
    Obviously there will never be a replacement for Lula's ice cream, but the soft serve at by chloe is destination worthy. (So is that amazing burger!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I'll tear the rice paper, but i do want to try! Love the fresh herb/tofu/pb sauce combo.
      I just went to Chloe's and didn't notice soft serve, but I'll be back!

      Delete
    2. I think you may be thinking of Chloe's Soft Serve Fruit Co., which isn't related to ByChloe.

      Delete
  7. Those spring rolls are pretty good, but you should definitely make your own, queen of the collard wrap that you are. Kittee makes "salad roll whoppers" that are pretty much your collard rolls wrapped up in rice paper. Do it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.