Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2016

Indulgences

Saturday was my oldest friend's bridal shower -we've known each other for 27 years, and she's getting married in June!

The party was at a nice old Parks Department house in the woods. It was catered, but I didn't take any shots of the food - I just had a small plate of fruit and a plain mini bagel, plus coffee. It wasn't really about the food, obviously.

when I got home I was pretty hungry and made this quick dish of sauteed broccoli and tofu with soy sauce, and threw some avocado on top. Ran out to meet Jarrod at a coffee shop to read for a while.

heading back to his place, we stopped at the store to pick up groceries for a meal. You saw my haul last time, this is his: blueberries, tofu, oats, canned tomatoes, chickpeas, espresso, potatoes, garlic, spinach, bread, almond milk (which is obviously supplemented throughout the week - especially the oats, coffee, and berries since he makes breakfast for us both, like, all of the time.)

the potatoes, chickpeas, spinach, tofu and I believe the whole head of garlic are simmered in the tomatoes until cooked through. Et voila.
I'm using up some vacation days at work. The vacation mode got me thinking about food I don't usually indulge in, so I spent a warm day walking around the neighborhood and stopped in at Dunwell:

                                            "The Godfather" - pistachio and coconut

                                                             chocolate & peanut
The Godfather was definitely the better of the two - it didn't help that walking around in the heat melted a lot of the chocolate icing off, but I'm a big fan of coconut flavored stuff in general, SO.

A slightly indulgent basic: sauteed zucchini, broccoli, carrot, chickpea, and tofu with garlic, red pepper flakes, and cheddar Daiya on top.

San Pellegrino clementine soda! I don't often drink soda, but I do love this brand, so sue me. It does have a bit of fresh juice in it. So refreshing.

Really pushed myself yesterday to finish a book collecting some original documents from The International that had just been taking up too much of my time. It's interesting stuff and actually a fairly quick read when I sat myself down to it, but it was kind of a redundant book and a bit of a slog, so I'm glad it's done. Getting up and pacing back and forth and eventually making popcorn (with garlic powder, olive oil, and salt) broke up the tedium.
What, oh what, will the rest of vacation bring?

10 comments:

  1. I love San Pellegrino! I just tried the blood orange the other day and it was really good.
    Yum doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A whole garlic bulb simmered in tomatoes sounds amazing! The broc, tofu, avo bowl looks really good too. What are you reading next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Sheila Heti's How Should a Person Be? which I guess i liked well enough, now I'm reading Rosa Luxemburg essays! What are you reading??

      Delete
  3. Is there some kind of rule that all bridal showes have to be brunch? Catered meals are always a challenge....
    That Pelligrino is a good one! Too bad it's crapola weather for your staycation. I think you will go to jackson heights for indian food and to shop at patel brothers, read a trashy murder mystery, and finally have a rainbow bagel. ;)
    Ttrockwood
    Ps
    I just went to this awesome restaurant not far from your work, "Biang", they have a ton of vegan stuff (don't miss the mount qui noodles and warm tofu) and it's cheap too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was frustrating to see all the food I couldn't eat all laid out, but what can ya do?
      The weather was so crummy, right?? Now it's beautiful though, so I'll get over it.
      Tell me more about the rainbow bagel??! where can I find that??

      Delete
  4. I think tofu and broccoli may be my favorite bowl food. When I can't think of anything to eat, b&t always sounds good. Clementine soda sounds delicious, and I could go for some right now. Yes, I know that feeling of just wanting to finish a book and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of putting avocado on top of a stir-fry! Also, I need those doughnuts. So jealous of folks who have access to a vegan-friendly doughnut shop. Then again, maybe it's best that I can't get doughnuts every day, cause I would.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in awe of the doughnuts. There ought to be a law that they are available to everyone everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy vacay! Vacays are good no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you enjoyed your vacation!! I hate when a book ruins your reading flow.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.