Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2016

Out of the mason jars and into my mouth

Monday was another snow day, though with much less accumulation than the blizzard. I spent most of the morning inside drinking too much coffee and writing, but got out for some laundry and a bit of a walk to get more coffee and groceries.
Breakfast smoothie:
 
   collards, frozen banana, cranberries, vega berry protein powder, water, lemon, ginger

                   from the walk. not a b&w photo, we've just reached peak bleak February time.

the coffee shop, My Coffee Cup in Glendale. i went here specifically to sit in the oversized coffee cups. By myself.
Got groceries on the walk back, didn't get a haul shot but spent way too much money (somehow when things are on sale, that happens.) This is the first meal i made with the goods:

                                avocado, spinach, tofurky slices, sriracha hummus sandwich
I guess i was a little overcaffeinated and overzealous in my purchases because I forgot there was still a fair amount of produce at home that had to be used up and eaten first. When in doubt, stir fry:

onion, ginger, garlic, broccoli, mushrooms, green beans, carrot with soy sauce and sesame oil. tofu thrown in at the last minute
 
Finally finished the Emma Goldman autobio I've been reading (well, volume 1) and found out the apartment she lived in for ten years is right around the corner from work, so i stopped by on my break. Funny that there's a plaque commemorating a woman who was imprisoned and harassed by authorities throughout her life and probably wouldn't have wanted this sort of hero worship. All the same, I'm glad it's there.

Trying not to get sick, so I'm drinking what looks like a biology experiment but is in actuality echinacea tea with goji berries.
Stay warm.

14 comments:

  1. It's going to be freezing in NYC this weekend! Take care. What type of bread do you eat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever is vegan and on sale :) i don't often buy bread so it's a real indulgence for me. I'd probably be more picky about it if i ate it more often.

      Delete
  2. I wish I was eating that sandwich (minus the sriracha) right now. Tofurky slices finally made it to the UK just after I left and I haven't found any sliced mock meats in Asia yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?? that's so funny because here, Chinatown and various Asian restaurants almost always have veg options. i guess it depends which part of Asia yr in.

      Delete
  3. Oh my god that coffee shop is crazy looking! Are there always balloons on the ceiling? It reminds me of the Alice in Wonderland ride at Disneyland. I love the winter shot, it is bleak but accurately haunting. Hope you don't get sick, I'll send you some teas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i believe that ride was the owner's inspiration, hahaha! I assume the balloons are always there...i plan to go back often to check.
      I just bought more tea! It's a compulsion! But it doesn't seem to be helping much as i have a bit of a cold... nothing bad though

      Delete
  4. I wish I could get into green smoothies but I can't seem to do it. I can add greens but the color has to stay fruit-like. I'll keep trying. The jar looks like it's full of goldfish! Hope you stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! I find any addition of greens makes it green anyway so i don't try to fight it.
      Yr right about the goldfish, and now i'm even more creeped out by the photo.

      Delete
  5. Those giant tea cups remind me of the fun fair. I'd have to leap in and shout "scream if you want to go faster!" Maybe I should go on my own too. Biology experiment chic is also set to be the next big trend in hot drinks, mark my words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i want to see people drinkingn big sludgy petri dishes!

      Delete
  6. Gosh, it looks so cold! It has been warm here lately, so we'll be sending that to you soon! Big cups of coffee are always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was below freezing yesterday for the first time in a long time, but I'm not sure if our weather is coming from the West by you...

      Delete
  7. Tofurky and Vegenaiise would make a good enuf sandwich for me. Adding Hummus would never have crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for teaching me two new things: Emma Goldman and enormous teacups in Glendale that (presumably) don't spin). You should teach a master class in awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.