Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2016

BLD

Some older meals I had forgotten about, some new stuff:

   granola in a jar with almond butter, goji berries, apple. almond milk added once I got to work

                      lazy. everything bagel untoasted with tofu cream cheese, lawge cawfee

                             ugly. oats, chia, banana, almond butter, goji berries, almond milk

kabocha squash, grated beets, spinach, some sort of dressing, and most likely some sort of protein under all those leaves, I can't remember.

Protein salad from Blossom du Jour: kale, black beans, corn, red pepper, avocado, quinoa, tahini dressing. Plus some reading
 
Justin's dark PB cups have basically disappeared from my usual haunts, and I don't like Theo's PB cups as much but these coconut bites are a more than sufficient substitute.

This was experimental and unfortunately still needs to be tweaked. It's a miso soup with wood ear mushroom, kabocha squash, tofu, spinach, and spices but I added the smoky Chinese lapsang souchong tea to the broth and it really just didn't work. There's something there but it hasn't revealed itself to me yet.

A more basic soupy bowl: mung bean noodles, bok choy, mushrooms, carrot, wakame, miso broth, and ginger.
 
J is always doing dinner duty, here's one I finally made for him. Roasted chickpeas, sauteed kale and broccoli, pan-fried tofu, and carrot-ginger soup.

Saturday night: Twilight Zone, Club Mate soda, the new coffee table we found in the trash and hauled to his place from the West Village. Unpictured: popcorn.

15 comments:

  1. I like your breakfast in a jar idea, I should make those for my busy days! My meal prep game has been off lately....

    Did I tell you that I'm reading War & Peace? It'll be a big tick on the bucket list. Tolstoy is actually quite clever, but this book is no joke with over 500 characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no! I haven't read that one, though I've wanted to for a while. I read Anna Karenina and that was hard enough.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, yes to everything bagels always. Your miso soup bowls are inspiring! I'm a big fan of the genre. I like to added cubed smoked tofu in, maybe that's another way to get that flavor without the tea-and i always crumble anfew of those seaweed snacks in which work surprisingly well.
    So obviously J is the king of beautiful wonderful breakfasts but he also usually makes dinner???! Don't let go of this one!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoked tofu sounds like the way to go. I think i like those seaweed snacks alone, but i like them for the crunch + not sure it would work in a soup, but i could try it.
      J and I are grabbing on to each other for dear life, don't worry about that.

      Delete
  3. Does the soup need something sour added to it? Would that bring out the smokey flavor more, or steeping the mushrooms in the tea to infuse them? Is that the right word or should it be marinade? Your 'ugly' oats look exactly like my breakfast oats, they're all ugly that's why chi chi food bloggers 'decorate' their bowls with fruit & nut fans, it's like makeup for breakfast... ahahaha there might be a burlesque joke in there too... I really like the green color of your oats jar lid, speaks to me, maybe cause I'm looking forward to spring? Yay Twilight Zone! The series or the movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe! I've made a mushroomy hot & sour soup before that was really good.
      make-up for breakfast sounds horrible, hahah! makes me think of eating tubes and tubes of lipstick blech.
      The Twilight zone is the series! I don't think i knew they made a movie.

      Delete
  4. Love the oats in a jar with almond butter idea. I usually eat breakfast at home, but that makes me wanna sleep in and bring a breakfast like that to the office! Soup looks good even if it didn't taste like you wanted it to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm never hungry enough to eat until i get to work (which is a good thing bc i never give myself enough time either) so the travel oats work well.

      Delete
  5. If you perfect the lapsang souchong idea, holler. I've been using it as a tofu marinade, and as you right say, it's not quite there yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try the marinade! maybe it was just too much on its own.

      Delete
  6. Nearly all oatmeal recipes should be called 'ugly oats'. I've even felt that way about oatmeal with blueberries when it turns all grey and ugly. It's an honest name for an honest food! Your 'failed' soup looks great. Maybe some mirin or lemon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Lysette suggested a sour route as well. I'll try that, and less smokiness.

      Delete
  7. How could you leave us hanging with the popcorn? In my mind I'll wish it was Little Lad's herbal corn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. You love that stuff! I think I've had it once, it is very good. This was just plain old fashioned Jarrod air-popped oats with salt, oil & garlic powder.

      Delete
  8. So jealous. Blossom Du Jour? Those Theo Coconut Cups? The story of hauling a coffee table from the West Village to Queens sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.