Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2016

salads + pho mostly

Hey, gearing up for the supposed blizzard over here, armed mainly with the harira from Tuesday. Other than that, here's what's been eaten lately:

                         roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes in olive oil, s+p, and turmeric!

                               in a salad with spinach, collard, tofu, with a hummus dressing.
 
                                          my majestic warmth provider + counter top swiffer

                                                         reading material plus the soup

Would you believe this is the first time I've eaten pho?? Jarrod and I saw Polanski's Macbeth at Film Forum the other night and stopped into a Vietnamese place in the West Village. It was really good! Vegan options were limited but this was all we needed: broth, rice noodles, broccoli, bok choy, carrot, potatoes, soy protein, scallions, jalapeno, bean sprouts, and lime.

                                                                            J date

                               breakfast today was Kite Hill vanilla yogurt with blackberries

lunch was arugula, roasted heirloom carrots, sweet potato, fennel, and radicchio with a tomato vinaigrette from Paradis. It's been so long since I've gotten a meal from them. Still top notch.
Now I am going to go make sure I have enough coffee to get me through the next few days. Stay safe and warm!

11 comments:

  1. I love Pho so much, it's so simple but so satisfying. Ha, I love your counter swiffer, I have a few of those myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That is the best film version of Macbeth, it really captures all the sex, violence and hysteria in the script. We used Polanski's version as inspiration when we did it in 2006 and we included Hecate, the witch goddess, which usually gets cut... I actually can't remember if the Polanski version included her or not. We had a lot of horses in that show, ten years later people still talk about it. Get Sconed hacked a vegan pho ages back, it's amazing, I only made it once but want to do it again now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it was great! I bet you guys also did a fantastic version. I don't think Hecate was in the Polanski movie, just the Wyrd sisters and their coven.

      Delete
  3. Oh yeah, there is only one veggie bowl and one vegan broth.... But it is usually very good! I haven't had pho in forever, might have to remedy that! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Pho, I ate it a lot in Vietnam. Here hot pot is more of a thing and it's pretty cold right now so I think I'll be having a warming cauldron of it for dinner later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone is raving about that Pho but the Harira Soup is what I want. That looks like some major satisfaction. J is a film afficianado as well as a gourmand. Does he have a blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J has a lot of projects, some of his writings are collected on his blog, yeah (jarrod the blog) if you are interested.

      Delete
  6. "J date" lol. I've been hearing great things about Momofuku's two vegan pho options, so they're on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe glad you liked that, I thought it was funny..

      Delete
  7. A big bowl of pho can be really great or not, depending on how much star anise (a.k.a.fennel flavor) it contains. I know this isn't a problem for you, but it is for me. Working on it, though. :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.