Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Farmers' market, hot food and cold food

Been better about making and bringing to work my own breakfasts too these days (mostly some unappealing-looking oats in a jar, or fruit) but every once in a while I'll splurge and buy a bagel and some tofu cc. It's cheaper to leave the cc at work and spread my own rather than buy it at a coffee shop.

This was an indulgent version at home. OJ, coffee with almond milk, whole wheat everything bagel with Daiya cc. The Daiya was on sale and it's...okay. Texture-wise it's maybe closest to non-vegan cc, maybe flavor-wise too but I'm so used to Tofutti these days that I still prefer that. Definitely better than another vegan cc brand I purchased (can't remember which one at this point, and probably better left unsaid) which was super runny and gross. I'm a New Yorker, I have ideas about how bagels should be.

 a rainy Saturday morning I got into the city early enough to walk through the Union Square greenmarket. I've sadly not paid it enough attention lately.

Pretty colors, though, and still a good selection. I wonder how the harvest has been with the warm weather. I only bought an apple. maybe if I'm better prepared another time, I'll pick up more produce.

tasty stir fry with onion, ginger, garlic, millet, kale, mushrooms, and carrot with Braggs (and sriracha after the pic.) millet is growing on me; it's better cooked more.

                                  post-lunch snack. It's been a while since I've had a Larabar.

more millet stirfry, this time with kale and tofu then topped with roasted beets and avocado. Nice mix of textures, temperatures, and flavors.

                                     Rising Sun smoothie!! It has been so long since I made this!

it's spinach, spirulina, tahini, ginger, frozen banana, almond milk, water, and lemon juice. I topped it with hemp seeds and drank it alongside my coffee.
Bought an eggplant a while back with no real plans for it. It finally has gotten freezing here (though that didn't stop Jarrod and I from biking to a movie Monday night. I won't say that cold wasn't painful.) so I took today off to gather some things together and make a soup that has been calling to me since I bought Isa Does It: harira! It's a moroccan chickpea stew. Isa's includes eggplant, lentils, and angel hair pasta.

                                                                  big steamy potful

This was really good! I finally was able to use the saffron my aunt gifted me last year for Christmas. The stew is also spiced with red pepper flakes, cinnamon, ginger, and paprika as well as fresh cilantro and mint thrown in. I ate it pretty hot so the subtlety of the spices was slightly lost on me, but I'm assuming they'll fill out as the soup sits a few days. As it was, it was filling and perfect for a cold afternoon lunch. Also, I think I have official cooked all but one of Isa's soups from that cookbook.
I did a lot of other prep today but I'm gonna save that for the rest of the week. TTYL kiddos.

12 comments:

  1. You've reminded me that I never cook millet even though it's sitting in the cupboard. Never cook the buckwheat either. The harira is good, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Union Square greenmarket was my favorite part of my last NYC visit. so lovely.

    and thanks for the smoothie inspiration. i've bene in a smoothie rut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I got Isa Does It at the library awhile ago, and I wanted to make the harira, but I never got around to it and it looks sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. millet is tasty when its toasted a bit too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet it is! I have a bit left, I'll try that, thanks.

      Delete
  5. I prefer Non-Daiya CC as well. Daiya is too 'cheesy' tasting. Nice post, but you didnt say what movie you went to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pulgasari! A North Korean monster movie "commissioned" by Kim Jong Il. By commissioned I mean KJI kidnapped the director and main actress.

      Delete
    2. hope it was worth the potential hypothermia. J is hard core.

      Delete
  6. Argh! I have saffron sitting in my pantry too. I'm eyeing a Vegan Eats World soup for this snowy weekend, no saffron required. I don't like that Daiya cc either; the white container tofutti is my cc standard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've yet to find a vegan cream cheese that isn't gruesome, but that's London's sadness - not a great selection. The harira we do have - I just need to make some myself and chase winter away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm bagels! I do love the Daiya cream cheese the most though. But Tofutti is fine too. It's been way too long since I've had a Larabar. I got a little burned when I was eating them daily. But I should bring them back into my life. Also, that soup looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 100% Team Tofutti. High five! Nice looking green smoothies, too. I miss them, but it is effing cold outside and I have to scrape my windshield five minutes after eating.... So, warm food only! Ha!

    Harira sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.