Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2015

Christmas First

Working backwards here: Christmas.
Christmas Eve, Jarrod and I made egg nog (well, he did while I baked and fretted) which I seem to have not gotten a picture of. It was a simple one of frozen bananas blended with soy milk, spices, and vanilla extract.
The next morning he made breakfast while I, well, fretted some more.

                               oats, blueberries, raspberries, almonds, soy milk with coffee.
We cleaned up nice as punks are wont and headed to my folks' place. Introductions, presents, snacks, etc.

my mom asked me to make an Asian veggies dish to go along with a salmon and Peking duck she was making. There were plenty of other vegan options as well. This stir fry is slightly modified from Terry Walters' Clean Start and has snow peas, napa cabbage, bok choy, carrots, onion, garlic, and water chestnuts in a soy-miso-ginger-tahini-red pepper flake dressing. I think people really enjoyed it.

                                       (scallion and chopped peanut garnish for the stir fry)

 my plate with Venitian cauliflower, a quinoa + cranberry dish, and soy glazed squash and tofu - all three from my aunt, the stir fry, plus mashed potatoes that Jarrod made. I didn't go back for seconds, but there was also some sauteed spinach + garlic that my dad made that was really good and I picked out of the bowl later, hehe.

You can't really tell the difference, but these are two kinds of vegan cookies I made - ginger chocolate chip cookies modified from a Martha Stewart recipe, and chocolate-chocolate chip cookies with orange from Veganomicon.
 
                     Cicero and Seneca also got their dinner, to make sure they stayed off the table.
I didn't get any shots of the table, but here is a picture my brother took while we were all eating. It was a nice gathering.


Happy Holidays from these freakin' weirdos. Jarrod's shirt is festive, mine says War on Women.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays fellow weirdos! I saw War on Women this year - they were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays from one weirdo to another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Merry! Darby made a lentil shepherds pie with mushroom gravy as our contribution to xmas dinner, all the omni's loved it. I burnt myself out madly making vegan food gifts for everyone with my 24 hours off work - it was ridiculous but worth having videos sent to me of their dog friends enjoying the pb banana cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great evening! I've been craving Asian themed crunchy meals, and this looks good. Hi Jarrod!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOG. Yes. And of course many vegetables too. Happy happy holiday to you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.