Search This Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Heat and the Eats

Eatin my way through prep. Lots of repeats this week, but here are a few of the more interesting details:

cabbage, rice, tofu, broccoli stir fry with onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes

Went to a zinester potluck at ABC No Rio. Dropped off some zines, talked to a few people, ate some vegan mac n' cheese. No pictures of the awesome dishes everyone brought, though, because the yard was pretty dark.

two days later I was back in the hood for a zine skillshare (but didn't end up attending!) so I stopped by the vegan pop-up shop at Spreadhouse for a Gone Pie blueberry banana mini loaf. I biked in and it was soooo so hot, this was my reward.

I also picked up a new Fanciful Fox product. I love all her stuff! I'm still using the black magic face scrub, and brought a white magic scrub down to Rachel in Atlanta. This stuff is more gentle but still feels really clean. Smells nice too.

simple salad with avocado, tomatoes, chickpeas, spinach, and a miso-sesame dressing.

                                              more cabbage stirfry with tofu and rice

 a new dish for the week: soba noodles with broccoli and dandelion greens in a peanut-soy sauce

Ginger beer: refreshing and bubbly but not too gingery (though I could have done with more)

biked to work one morning, more food rewards: sesame bagel with tofu cc and an iced coffee. It was suuuper hot biking home, I'll probably only keep biking to work sporadically until it cools down a bit.

Been doing a lot of dinner smoothies. This was spinach, frozen banana, frozen cranberries, almond milk, vanilla protein powder, lemon, and ginger.

I turned on the oven one super hot night (with a fan in the kitchen) and baked banana bread muffins, so that's been a lot of breakfasts lately. Some with tofu cc, as here, and some with peanut butter spread on. The coffee is a constant.
I have a ton of cleaning to catch up on today and hopefully some cooking as well this weekend. We'll see.

18 comments:

  1. it all looks really fantastic. your homemade bowl food looks as delicious as a restaurant. So do you leave your bike parked on the sidewalk in front of your store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound much more positive these days now that you have left VA. Hope you feel it.
      Yup, I double-lock my bike out front of the store. I'm pretty paranoid so I check on it sometimes during the day but the street is consistently busy enough that it would be hard for someone to steal it without being noticed anyway.

      Delete
    2. Saying I sound 'positive' is just a nice way of saying 'dull and boring'. I know. I barely recognize myself these days.

      You dont think a hardened bike thief could look casual enuf to take the bike without being noticed? bring it inside!

      Delete
  2. I'm actually too hot to even leave a coherent comment but the zine potluck and skillshare sounds like so much fun. A smoothie for dinner is all I could handle right now but Kate and Jason are making mexican tonight so if I want to eat before the show, beans, salsa and guac it is! I love peanut butter on muffins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I totally get that! I don't want to be near a computer much at all these days.
      PB on muffins is such a tiny powerhouse!

      Delete
  3. I really tried to like dandelion greens, as they are so good for detoxing, but I can't handle the bitterness! I learned my lesson today but not prepping/having more on hand and turned hangry. Not ok! Ha ha,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are bitter. Soy sauce and lots of spices help.

      Delete
    2. Um, no. Think I'll still pass on the dandelions. Ha Ha!

      Delete
  4. Oh man, salad and ginger beer sounds like the best lunch. Have you tried Bundaberg ginger beer? That is ultra-gingery and delicious, and their website says it's vegan, so you should be all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still dreaming of the ginger beer. I haven't seen Bundaberg! Is it alcoholic?

      Delete
  5. I remember heat - we had some briefly round our way, now sadly departed. Still, I'm still enjoying the iced coffee kick it left behind. Soba noodles definitely gets the thumbs up from here. I now also need to find some reason to reward myself with cake. Perhaps writing this comment might suffice?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iced coffee all the way these days for me. Hope you get a bit more heat before it's gone for good, that is, if you want it.
      Commenting is hard work, believe me! You definitely deserve cake.

      Delete
  6. Well hopefully the worst of that nasty hot is behind us for now.
    Peanut sauce noodles are just a year round yes food. those muffins with cc sound delicious. Why don't more people put cc on muffins??
    I was at FKA Lula's the other night, perfect solution to hot city problems.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bad for a while, right? Geez. It's pretty nice in the 80s now - last night i almost wished I had a long sleeved shirt to bike in!
      vegan cc should go on/in more things if you ask me.
      I gotta get to Lulas before the summer is over!

      Delete
  7. Mmmm....I need to be putting avocado on all my salads. How do I always forget that avocado goes on salads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes on salad and everything else :)

      Delete
  8. Our new favorite breakfast is smoothies. I've been using chocolate almond milk with coconut yogurt and kale - an odd mix but really tasty, especially with a handful of fresh raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a rock star turning on your oven. I've been meaning to make banana bread, but it's still too hot.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.