Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Prep Payoff

I went hard on the prep upon returning for the trip. Thankfully it saw me though a week+. I forgot to take a photo of the grocery haul, but here's what I made:

cooked chickpeas, cabbage stirfry, raw kale salad with nooch, hempseeds, and cayenne. I also cooked rice and roasted eggplant and squash for the week. As long as I only have to turn on the oven one night a week, I guess it's worth it.


                              Lunch: raw kale salad, raw squash, rice, chickpeas, tomatoes

           dinner sandwich: bread, hummus, mixed greens, roasted squash and eggplant

          lunch for most days of the week: raw kale, roasted squash, tomatoes, chickpeas

                         breakfast for a few days: toast with PB and a banana. It's a classic.

                                                                          Haxan!

Tried to recreate my favorite Mediterranean salad from Bite: greens, roasted eggplant, raw sunflower seeds, cucumber, tomato, sundried tomato, hummus, and sambal oelek.

                                  another lunch: radish, roasted squash, greens, chickpeas

                     toast with PB, banana slices, maca powder, and cinnamon with coffee
I still have a bunch of rice and chickpeas, plus the stirfry, but I'll have to get more greens for the coming week. But hot damn if prep isn't just the best. I mean, plus other stuff, I guess.

18 comments:

  1. this is great! I am totally going to use it as an example when clients ask how to prep and eat simple whole foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks. Simple is all I know how to do.

      Delete
  2. Having food premade in the fridge is so nice, especially in summer, when no one wants to go anywhere near the stove. All the quick lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prep almost every meal the night before. Any chopping or pre-cooking I can do makes preparing dinner when I get home so much easier!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haxan!
    Yes; it's been a killer turning on the oven- even just for toast (I don't have a toaster). I've been making killer salads that I've been sharing with VM, who has been stealing the leftovers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two more weeks of bliss free prep requirements. I need to start gearing up for that. How do you do such big chunks of radish? I can only handle them when paper thin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a little zeppy pep in my salads. haha.

      Delete
  6. Batch cooking is one of those things that I see other organised people doing and nod approvingly, but never see to get myself around to doing. This is why I will never take over the world. What squash is that? It's like tiny sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are summer squash! much like zucchini. Pretty, right?

      Delete
  7. I have never done 'prep'. It does seem like a great idea. Any of these veggies come from the farmers market or your parent's garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The summer squash appeared in my fridge while I was on vacation so they are from my mom, but I'm not sure where she got them

      Delete
  8. Blogger was being glitchy with me trying to comment lately, I think not having an account makes it a little pissy.

    Maca with peanut butter sounds good. I take it in pill form. I use to drink it but it was always clumpy and I developed an aversion to the taste, good stuff though!

    Haxan is the handsomest feline around :) Your meals get me excited for when I can start making my own meals again in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that!
      I love maca but can't do too much at once.

      Delete
  9. Nice week of eats! I'm a big fan of batch cooking- might as well make a bunch once instead of just one serving at a time. Although i really haven't been cooking anything-more like chilled soups and hearty salads.
    Your Mediterranean salad sounds great!
    Maybe your leftover rice and chickpeas should become veggie burger patties...
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish I had thought of making burgers! I actually made TOO much chickpeas so they kinda went bad.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.