Search This Blog

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Boston, Take 2

J and I went up to Boston again this weekend for another hardcore show. It's always great to get out of the city and this time we hung out with more of his friends, so it was nice to meet everyone.
Before we left:

                                                                       A breakfast

                        A lunch: detox salad, kale, tofu, roasted sweet potatoes from the WF bar

A dinner: bok choy, string beans, carrot, edamame with soba noodles and a miso-tahini dressing.

                                                                               A drink
We took an early bus Friday morning and stopped at My Thai in Boston's Chinatown for lunch when we got in.
Lunch special came with a soup:

                            This was actually really good, but very random. Spicy and sweet.

                                      J ordered some fried tofu drumsticks as an appetizer

                                 I got a yellow curry dish with tofu, J got some rice noodles.
We took a walk around the Arnold Arboretum, which was beautiful and peaceful. We also saw Mad Max, which was neither beautiful nor peaceful, but fucking awesome in any case.
Then for dinner we went to the Middle East, where the show was to be the next day. I got this shot of the menu but nothing of the food I ordered (Middle East salad and fries - they have better vegan option but I wanted a salad.)


The show started at 1 on Saturday but we made it into Central Square early enough to eat at Veggie Galaxy first.

I got the tofu scramble breakfast sandwich with Daiya and home fries. J got a Reuben; his friend Will was with us, but I can't remember what he ordered.
The Middle East was right next door (which I love: Boston still has a pretty solid straight edge crew so it's awesome that sXe hardcore vegans have a place to eat right next to a rad venue), so we entered a 5 hour hardcore tornado.

This is Boston Strangler, probably my favorite from the show. They'd do a few songs and switch off with Rival Mob, who'd do a few and then they'd switch back. Real fun.
Thank you J for taking me and for the awesome days we have. Thanks also to his friend Will, who ain't gonna read this but was really hospitable and drove us around and put us up for a night. Boston is a rad town. I hope we'll be back...

22 comments:

  1. I figured you had been too busy with J to check in with your old cyber buds. The Boston grub looks incredible. Are there any vegan blogs for Boston? If not, maybe you could start one. The Bok Choy and Green Bowl is the standout, but I do love that J ordered the Fried Tofu to start for your dinner out. The man has a joie de vie that is quite the obvs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J and other things. Trying to find a new job and writing a lot, as well as a reading group. Too much, almost.
      I'm SURE there are Boston vegan blogs. I feel like I used to read one or two.
      J is living his life.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a really good time!! A five hour show must work up an appetite, glad you fueled ahead of time! Everything looks super delicious, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, we'd go out between sets and see people at local falafel places and whatnot. At least they were eating in between all the day drinking.

      Delete
  3. Agree with Shen; I've never been to Boston, but I could be convinced to take a road trip if the snacks were on point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Shirley Jackson!! I love her writing, have I said that before? The Haunting -1963- is a great adaptation of that book. ahaha '5 hour hardcore tornado.' :) That's nuts -are both bands set up or do they just switch out instruments?
    I loved Mad Max too. A friend had been a writing consultant for it and I've spent that last five years fretting -as one does with all remakes- that it was going to be terrible. George Miller is still the champ of Aussie filmmakers in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye! I don't know if we've talked about her but it makes sense that you like her. This is the first I've read besides The Lottery.
      Rival mob and Boston Strangler each had their own instruments, though they left the drum kit up, haha.

      Delete
  5. I've never been to Boston either, but I would be all over that food! And also wandering around getting lost. :) It sounds like you guys have been having such a good time lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd get lost if I were on my own but luckily I had a good tour guide. :)

      Delete
  6. This looks like such a great time! I'm glad you enjoyed the show and got to check out some yummy places. All of the meals in this post look really delicious. I won't lie, the fried tofu drumsticks look pretty amazing, as well as your curry dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure!
      The curry was not as saucy or spicy as some I've had here, but decent, and great for the price.

      Delete
  7. Those drumsticks look pretty appealing - I'd inhale those in a second. Ditto those home fries. You got some good scran there. I've heard a lot of people really recommending Mad Max too - I need to haul my arse out to the cinema.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The home fries were good but I forgot to eat them with ketchup or hot sauce! :( We were in a rush!

      Delete
  8. Ooooh, those tofu drumsticks and that tofu scramble sandwich look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sandwich was great. The drumsticks were not my thing.

      Delete
  9. Fun travels! The only time I went to Boston I was with a group of non vegans, and I have no memory of where we ate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, maybe nothing of note - I feel like there are better options only fairly recently. (From what I remember of past visits)

      Delete
  10. Soba noodles! Bagels! I need both of these things asap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From all outward appearances you are Living The Dream..... Fab food, fun shows, weekends away with Mr Wonderful- yup. You deserve this :)

    And i gotta find that rawpothecary flavor- caffeine and nutrition?? Was it as good as it sounds? Thank god they left the banana outta that one
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, aw. He is wonderful. But yeah, all blogs are only outward appearances. But I'm mostly happy.
      The Rawpothecary was GREAT! Surprisingly! Sometimes they are too gritty. I bought it on sale and now I just want to make my own because they are $$

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.