Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Spreadhouse Vegan Pop Up

Sunday was a glorious day of sleeping in late (which I never! do) and heading out to the Lower East Side for the second time in two days. I feel like I've been spending a lot of time down there lately.

                                                                          ABC City
Spreadhouse is a coffee shop that sells Cake Thieves doughnuts all the time! I tried to find it back in March, when I was desperately in need of a doughnut but the windows weren't open and I guess I missed it.

Sunday it was bumping. Hard to miss. Love the Spy Vs Spy coffee board, as well as MAMI PAPI GOOD CATS graffiti.

Barbara from Gone Pie's table. I am only now realizing the shirt says "Mastiff" and not "Misfits," ha! Lots of goodies.

I bought a new cookie dough brownie because omg duh, and a blondie for J. This brownie was intense! And pretty too - it kinda melted in the sun but that pretty little star! Those half-dipped cookies!

I bought an iced coffee with almond milk (as if my brain wasn't buzzing enough) and ate a coconut almond flour cookie that Barbara kindly gave me. My friend Mikhail stopped by and we hung out on the curb outside for a while. He got a Star City fesenjoon (walnut + pomegranate stew) with rice and an ice cream bar from Three Little Birds but I forgot to get a shot. He seemed to enjoy them both.
I also stopped by the Fanciful Fox table. This is not very punk of me to admit, but maybe you know it already: I love vegan beauty products. I still make some of my own but am a total sucker for cool packaging and fancy shit.

I picked up both the White Magic and Black Magic facial scrubs as well as About Face, a moisturizing cream (will probably give that to my mom for Mother's Day.)
Mikhail and I spent a few hours walking around and sitting in Tompkins Square Park (got at an apple at the farmers' market) before I had to get home to write and he left for a meeting.

                                              cookie dough brownie money shot. Oh yes.
I like this venue! And I liked the vendors! If I hadn't spent so much money at Fanciful Fox or wanted to walk around in the sun, I'd have stopped at Cheezehound's table. I hope there's another pop-up here in the future. It was nice and open, and in an accessible location. Also glad it was a cafe and not a bar (lookin at you, Pine Box.)
That's all for now. TTYL dudes.

14 comments:

  1. If there is an event where tables will be set up, you will be there. The Cookie Dough Brownie looks phenom. Glad the stomach probs cleared up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are right! It's the DIY spirit! Drag a table into any old place and pretend you own it!

      Delete
  2. This looks like so much fun! That brownie is insane, I'm so jealous! I'm totally with you, I'm a total sucker for vegan beauty products too. I'll have to check out those scrubs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insane is a good way to describe it. Really good stuff.

      Delete
  3. You had me at 'sleeping in late' and it kind of went uphill from there. I think I would have bankrupted myself at the Gone Pie table and then wandered around the rest looking like an abandoned puppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't stop at Gone Pie first for a reason :)

      Delete
  4. I've never been to a vegan pop-up, but I think I would have bought the same things as you. Who can resist a Gone Pie brownie. I don't tend to randomly buy vegan face-cleaning products — I usually just use soap on my face — but keep me away from lip balms and such. There's no limit to how many lip products I can accumulate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pop ups are fun and the brownies are the best! Soap really dries my face out out. Shen actually sent me a Crazy Rumors gingerbread vegan lip balm and I love it; it's the only thing I use anymore

      Delete
  5. That's so funny bc my one gripe was no bloody marys! I'm so bummed I missed you, but glad you got such great stuff. That face cream is my absolute fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Pine Box can make a doozy of a drink for sure but I've been teetotaling these days and appreciated both the lack of temptation and that the coffee kept the crowd moving rather than perched at the bar taking up space.
      I suppose there will be other events we'll run into each other at.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by and trying some new stuff and for the zine! See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that mural! I just bought some lotion at the farmers market called witchy woman body whip, I hesitate too when buying stuff thinking DIY it! but it is nice supporting other makers and I don't need 8 different bottles of essential oils to make one fancy lotion. That Mastiff shirt is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.