Search This Blog

Friday, May 29, 2015

Ferns, Champs, Vegan Propaganda

Finally picked up some fiddlehead ferns from the farmer's market.

my roommate likes them a lot so I asked her how to prepare them. Ya wash off the brown husks, then soak them, and then boil them for about 10 minutes. Apparently you can get really sick if you don't cook them well! After boiling I sauteed them with garlic, olive oil, salt, balsamic vinegar, canellini beans, and chopped zucchini with thyme, black pepper, and nooch.

It was Jarrod's last day of classes, so he came over and we ate but for a little bit more of a celebration, we followed the meal with a bike ride over to Champs.

Photo by J: his n hirs cheesecakes. His was chocolate chip a la mode, mine was oatmeal streusel. Dude knows how to get down.
After this, we went back to his place and watch Darren Aronofsky's Noah, which came out last year. It was fucking rad!! I am not a huge fan of big budget CGI movies (or Russell Crowe, really) but I do like Aronofsky and it turns out (as we kinda picked up from the movie) that he is vegan! The story was a crazy adaptation of the Noah story with a ton of possible interpretations but the vegan/eco-feminist, masculinity story stood out to us. This is one pretty interesting review. Has anyone seen the movie?
Continuing J-inspired breakfasts:

                               oats, chia, raisins, goji berries, coconut flakes, almond milk

 a salad for dinner tonight, incorporating quinoa, which I don't often use - but I am trying to be more careful of my gluten or soy based protein intake. Baby spinach, avocado, cilantro, scallion, red cabbage, carrot, tomato, quinoa with Braggs and sriracha.

                    leftover raw pad thai for lunch today. Added scallion, cilantro, and carrot.

boring breakfast, but it does the job, especially since with the weather warming up I am eating more lightly.
That's all for now. Have a good weekend.

12 comments:

  1. No way you ate that entire piece of Cheesecake. It is bigger than you are!

    I like Aronofsky as well, but not as much as I despise Crowe, so no, I would not watch ' Noah'. Dont know if you watch ' Penny Dreadful' but you would love it (once you get past the first introductory episode).

    Nice looking Granola, perhaps J will share his recipe some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way, I ate it.
      Will try to find time and a way to check out Penny Dreadful. Is it online?
      J's recipe is just granola, chia seeds, almonds, berries, and soy milk. I think that's everything...

      Delete
    2. I dont know if Penny Dreadful is online. I am old school and just watch it on HBO.

      Somehow I doubt if I threw all those ingredients together, it would be as good.

      Delete
  2. I am totally watching that tonight. I would normally blank a biblical tale, especially told through Russel Crowe but vegan propaganda is a Saturday night indeed!

    I was hoping we had Piotr Szulkin movies in our shop -Dad is a cinephile so we rent movies in the bookshop. It doesn't make any money but he's happy he gets to recommend and talk about movies all day. We sadly didn't have Szulkin's films but he said we should order them in! Thanks for the tip on the Polish director :)

    What did you guys think of the fiddleheads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you watch? What do you think? We are also reading Paradise Lost now so we are really on a Bible kick, haha.
      Yeah, check out the Szulkin stuff! I liked them!
      The fiddleheads were good. Delicate. Not sure we really got the flavor best this way.

      Delete
  3. I remember Miss Rachel (has anyone heard from her?) talking about Fiddleheads. Don't know if I could do it, they seem a little alien to me! Ha ha!

    I've not seen Noah, but now you have me intrigued!

    It is warming up here, too, so I predict melon meals in the near future. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard anything about/from miss rachel in a long time. They are alien-looking, but pretty cute!

      Delete
  4. Please say you ate that entire piece of cheesecake; Shen is a wuss!!
    All of this food looks amazing and I'm breaking my own rule of reading your blog while I'm starving. Ice cream on cheesecake? I really like J's style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I ate it! I don't let cheesecake go to waste.
      J is a party animal.

      Delete
  5. I love fiddleheads! Haven't ever prepared them, but they are a fun summer treat in restaurants. And, omg, I had no idea that Noah movie was like that! I totally want to see it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I've never seen them in restaurants!
      Hope you are having a great time in England, I wonder what veggies you are enjoying there.

      Delete
  6. Oh that cheesecake!!! The dinner salad also looks amazing. Never even heard of fiddleheads! Interesting take on the movie - I never wanted to see it either for the reasons you mentioned but now I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.