Search This Blog

Monday, April 27, 2015

Whirlwind Week

Wow, guys, so the zine fest is over and now we can go back to regularly scheduled programming. But here is a recap of the lead up.

Marmalade Umlaut was featured in TimeOut NY! my zine was in a...mag-a-zine. Thanks to Jillian; she was sweet and stopped by the table.

                                                    Back to the avo GF toast breakfasts...

It rained on and off on Wednesday. There was a rainbow I didn't catch but thought the light in the sky through the budding tree was beautiful here.

Shanghai dumplings, 3 cubes of tofu, gingery snap peas, and some brown rice pilaf via WF salad bar.

This is me, Mitchell Kuga, Shannon Mustipher, and Bill Roundy at the food + drink zine panel on Saturday. I heard good things, but my brain was very busy freaking out. Thanks to my friends who came by to support!! I love love love you people. Also, the co-panelists were super rad, especially Mitchell. Looking forward to the next SALT zine.

Post-panel lunch. I was running around like an insane person, so I was glad to have the stuff made to throw this salad together: arugula, lentil salad, hummus, red cabbage, tomatoes, radishes, carrot.
After shoving the salad down my throat and putting together a few more copies of the zines, I ran out the door to meet my friend Jeff. He just moved back to the city from North Carolina, is working for a record distributor, and so he gets comp'ed to go to shows! He gave me his +1 and we saw Krill, mitski, and Speedy Ortiz at Bowery Ballroom. Great, great show. Thank you Jeff!!

                                                       Speedy Ortiz - this is Jeff's photo!

                       Zine fest, day 2 fuel: oats, coconut flakes, dried cranberries, walnuts

This was the set-up, before Jarrod showed up. He brought some of his own zines and we split space on the table. I was prepared with snacks for the 7 hour day, as you can see: kale chips, bananas, raspberry leaf tea.

Also carrot-coconut mini muffins! Of course the vegans were snacking all day long at the table.

                                Today is going to be a wind-down day. I started with a mango

And then had the first smoothie in what seems like a long time. With black coffee, cuz it's still a little chilly. This smoothie was spinach, 1 1/2 frozen bananas, marley coffee protein powder, water, and a handful of goji berries to top.

I am looking forward to going through my haul from the last two days, maybe biking, cleaning a little, and hanging out with this lovely babe.

14 comments:

  1. I know a famous person! So exciting! This last Zine of yours was unusually stellar. Maybe it will lead to a book deal or something.

    I gotta get back into Avocado Toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, are you just saying that cuz I'm ssooooo famous and stuff now? In any case, it's appreciated.
      Avo toast rules. You will probably get back into it, seeing as how LPQ is completely worthless now.

      Delete
  2. Yay for being in a magazine! I love the latest issue of the zine...(A return package/thank you is headed yr way!). You had some really good eats during this too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So glad you enjoyed it. I've been getting some good feedback.
      I am ADDICTED to those mini muffins. Luckily Jarrod was around to help me eat them; I also shared with the girl next to me.

      Delete
  3. Woah! That a BFD to be in time out ny!! You deserve it!
    Sounds like an amazing and exhausting weekend. Avo toast always sounds good, the whole ripe avocado seems to be the most challenging part. Those vegan dumplings at WF are so freaking good. And not to be an obnoxious twit but looks like four chunks of fu in there... ;)
    Hope you did some relaxing and napping today
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks.
      Yea avocados have such a small window of delectability.
      Love the shanghai dumplings, though I never pay much attention to what's inside them. Cabbage, mostly, right? Haha you are correct about the tofu. I noticed after the fact and decided to leave it. Looks like someone is paying attention.

      Delete
  4. What an honor to be featured, and you are very deserving!! The panel sounds so cool - I hope they ask you to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, I was NOT deserving but very lucky to know the organizers.
      It was an ok experience though.

      Delete
  5. Oooh, I'll have to try that smoothie combo. I have marley coffee protein powder in my pantry, and other than blending it with banana, pb, or chocolate, I never know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am usually at a loss for what to do with my smoothies too. PB and chocolate sound like really good additions

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the write up! Looks like you had a blast at the zine fest. Yummy looking food, I haven't seen those dumplings at WF before, I'll have to keep an eye out for them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did have a good time.
      Do look for the dumplings, they are tasty as well as fun to eat.

      Delete
  7. I would have been freaking out too if I was you, good thing you had friends in the crowd - or would that make me more nervous? I get butterflies when we go around the room to introduce ourselves! A zine reviewed by a magazine -meta ;) That's awesome. All the vegans know where the cool snacks are at!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, nice work on the zining and the mention in Time Out. That must have been a cracking few days. You definitely deserve a bit of celebratory chilling - skip the cleaning for more cat-based relaxation.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.