Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Spring Salads & Sidewalks

It was pouuuuring on Monday but I made it out of the house for groceries and laundry.

With the groceries, I made a pretty Spring salad to brighten up the gray, wet day. There is arugula under all that stuff, then cucumber, radishes, lentil salad with capers, onion and carrot, and tomatoes.

I also bought a few pears. Not sure why I always forget about them - they are so delicious when they are ripe.

Today walking around I found some spaghetti on the sidewalk with chopsticks jutting out. Luckily I had already eaten and wasn't tempted.

Another delicious spring salad: arugula, carrot, lentil salad, red cabbage, cucumber, tomato, and roasted radish! With nooch, cayenne, and apple cider vinegar.

Bought this coconut water/coffee drink today. I didn't like it too much at the first sip, but it grew on me. Bonus points for how metal it looks.

                                 GF toast with avo on one slice, garlic hummus on the other.

I don't mean to keep pushing this stuff, but I'm hosting a food & drink zine panel at the Brooklyn Zine Fest this Saturday the 25th. Come by if you are inclined! I'm actually tabling the next day, Sunday the 26th, but I'll have zines both days. The other panelists are repping SALT magazine, The Modern Travelers' Green Zine, and Bar Scrawl. It should be fun.

               And, finally, a cranberry chia drink from Glue and Glitter. It's tasty if nothing else.

18 comments:

  1. Your salads are always inspirational. I need to do better. So awesome that you're hosting a food and drink zine!!! I hope it goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's a circle of inspiration going on here. Thanks, I think the panel was ok but I blocked it out hahah!

      Delete
  2. True street food spaghetti and very metal coconut water coffee - was it coffee brewed with coconut water? I had my first arugula of the spring and it was di-vine! I love arugula, it's a substantial wild green. That's awesome you are hosting a panel! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but that sounds awesome!! We could probably make that, right? It would probably have to be a cold brew but wow, I never even thought of that! I think this was just coffee extract added to coconut water.

      Delete
  3. Haha your coconut water drink totally looks metal!! Love the look of it. I'm with Ingrid, your salads are always amazing. I'm with you, pears are so good when they are ripe.

    My brother decided that he wanted to go to nurseries to look at bushes on Monday in the pouring rain. We were those two idiots, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay pears!
      Haha aww, at least you were amongst foliage, if wet...I hid inside most of the day, I think.

      Delete
  4. The spaghetti was doubtless an outdoor art 'experience'. It was amusing, but personally, I prefer the very artistic salads you create indoors! I think arugula is my favorite salad green — and it's really good in a stir-fry, too. Keep pushing the zines, and enjoy the fest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, living in NY you never know!
      I never thought to cook arugula - I will try it tossed into a sitrfry, for sure.

      Delete
  5. It wasn't until I was in my thirties that I first had a ripe pear. Totally different experience! I don't know if I would have been able to resist the spaghetti. How sad for whoever lost it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad about the pear! I am not as bummed as you seem to be about the lost spaghetti, though...

      Delete
  6. That is one professional looking Salad up top.

    Wonder what restaurant the Spaghetti came from? it looks really good.

    Sorry i cant make it to the Zine Fest. I am sure yours is the only one worth reading anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! How can the spaghetti look at all appealing?? And who eats spaghetti with chopsticks??

      Delete
  7. That spaghetti! Truly a NYC experience. :) I have been getting back into zines thanks to you! Now what I need to do is actually buy the ones I have in mind. Hope your panel goes well & you have a good conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I suppose so.
      Glad you are re-discovering zines! There are some fantastically fun ones out there. Which are you thinking of buying?? And from where? I usually just pick up ones that call to me from bookstores or fests. There must be a SoCal zine fest, no?

      Delete
  8. If I saw that on the ground here, I would think it was an art installation, haha! I also forget about pears. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pears bruise more easily than apples, is my reasoning. makes it harder to just pick up and throw in yr bag.

      Delete
  9. That top salad looks especially delicious! The noodles look like a spaghetti popscicle.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.