Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Easter and a Spring Meal

Sunday was such a nice day! The weather was gorgeous and I spent the morning with my friend Jarrod (and his friend, who was in town visiting) at Champs. I unfortunately was too flustered to take any photos but I got biscuits and gravy with a side salad, plus bottomless coffee... The biscuits and gravy is not something I would usually order, as they are pretty heavy. They were tasty but I could only eat one. He got the other. In any case, I'm hoping we'll go back again soon and I promise I'll get a photo next time.
After coming home I read for a while and headed out to my folks' for dinner. It was a laid back and small gathering this year, just my cousin, my folks and me.

                                                                      budding...

I can't stop laughing at this picture of my mom's cat staring out the window to greet me! It looks like he has a huge circular head! Hahaha. He looks like a toy.

 Appetizers were matzoh with olives, roasted red pepper, kosher pickles, ajvar, and hummus.

                                                                     wine, of course

                           Salad, a leek, and roasted root veg (carrot, rutabaga, and yam)

This lamb cake wasn't vegan but it's cute. It was my grandma's old tin, I dusted it wonkily with powdered sugar - she used to do a white icing with coconut flakes and jelly bean eyes.
Then, on Monday, Jarrod came over for lunch. This was (guess who?) an Isa Does It recipe. A citrus-tahini bowl with tofu, quinoa, asparagus, and orange segments. The recipe called for bok choy but we decided asparagus was more seasonally appropriate.

It was pretty good...It was another beautiful day so we went up to the roof to eat. Then into the city for a friend of his' zine presentation. We walked around the city for a while after and ended up at Red Bamboo (a vegan restaurant) for ice cream, haha. Again, no photo! I got a pistachio milkshake, he got butter pecan. It was fucking cute as shit. Next time, pictures, I promise.

15 comments:

  1. The cat looks exactly like a stuffed toy. The food looks real, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can feel uncomfortable taking photos, especially when out with small numbers - together we'll aim to get the cuteness recorded. ;) Your Easter dinner looks lovely, and the cat is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whole leeks! Now that is something that doesn't show up on the table often enough. Are they braised, maybe? Also: KITTY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does when my mom is cooking, she loves em ;) I think they were steamed?

      Delete
  4. I love when you show your celebratins at Mom's. Always just the right ratio of fancy and casual. I think I have seen her serve whole Leeks in the past, so those must be a favorite of her's. I have never seen round Matzoh before.

    Feeling extremely jealous of your nutty shakes. Must've been incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this was more on the casual end of things, but pretty nice. She certainly loves those leeks, not sure why.
      The matzoh was made by a local rabbi - it was as good as matzoh can be.

      Delete
  5. Glad you are finally seeing the buds of spring and hanging out with good buds too! I am always stealthy when I take a picture, I use to be camera happy then my uncle in Australia said 'Why don't you experience the moment?' kind of a rude hippy thing to say but it stuck. ahaha I can't tell if your mom's cat is thrilled to see you or terrified ;) What's ajvar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much bud! Haha.
      Yeah, it's a fine line to walk! I always want to be in the moment, but I spent a lot of my youth not documenting things that I now wish I had. Just weird nostalgia stuff, maybe.
      Ajvar is an Eastern European roasted red pepper sauce! It's very good and they sell it in a lot of grocery stores in my neighborhood. Sometimes there is eggplant in it too.

      Delete
  6. I wanted to order the biscuits and gravy from Champs, too, because I never have them - but I didn't because of your reason. I was afraid it would be too much of one thing. I've never seen anything like that lamb cake, how cute. Cute dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they were a little intense. I'm sure you could make better!
      The lamb cake is adorable! One day I will veganize a recipe for it. Its ear was kinda drooping off, haha, so my mother stuck a skewer in it.

      Delete
  7. I love the look on that cat's face. It's like 'WHAT ARE THOSE CRAZY BIPEDS UP TO?' That can is so startled. Props on the vegan lamb cake, that looks great. Next time, we need to see a vegan incarnation. Also, clearly approval for wine. More so for ajver - I love that stuff. I just eat it out the jar with a spoon.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.