Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Staycation, pt. 3

Bought this green Suja while at work but consumed at home. Really like it. No banana! Nice and slightly gingery too.


Spinach, adzuki beans, tomato, red cabbage, sauerkraut. Later doused in a spicy miso-tahini dressing.

Was in the city again, early Monday morning, for a doctor's appointment. In on the train, walked back over the Williamsburg Bridge. Thought about stopping for some coffee or something at Babycakes, but I didn't. Sorry.

I had bought this the other day too, and drank it when I got home, even after the cold walk. Very tasty.

Breakfasts seem to be getting most play on here lately, not sure why. This is always a solid one: gf toast, pb, apricot jam, banana slices, coffee.
I went to a friend's show Monday night and got back from that pretty late so I was lazy all day Tuesday. Had ideas of grocery shopping and food prep, but instead walked aimlessly until I realized that I needed a burrito.

Taco Chulo it was: Santa Cruz burrito with potatoes, radish, lettuce, black beans, salsa fresca, avocado, sauteed spinach, and tofu sour cream.
I ate half and walked around for a while until it started snowing and I went home to drink tea (and a treat I will get into tomorrow.)
So, it was a quiet day with a lot of reading. The snow turned to hail and I was torn about going to a show or not but last minute decided to take off the sweatpants, throw on some extra layers, lace up the boots and run out the door. I got slightly lost heading to the venue, as it's in a pretty dark and industrial part of town, then a car splashed me with slush but I got there only having missed one band (bummer, though - it was Belus, and they sounded fantastic.) But yeah, I'm SO glad I saw the show. I went for Bleed the Pigs,who are a grindcore band from Nashville. (PS, VVarg I think you would love BOTH bands.)

Yeah! A good time. Then I had to run back home, though, because the trains were going to stop running at 11:45. But I made it, went to my friend's place in the neighborhood for a few hours, and then walked back home to plop asleep. I am really glad to be taking in more of what the city offers, but it is draaaiiinnnnninggg. Also expensive.

Anyway, here is the breakfast I am currently munching: toasted blueberry cornbread, an orange, and coffee.
Tomorrow, delicious food and some more fun stuff hopefully.

18 comments:

  1. I could totally go for some toasted blueberry cornbread right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm blueberry cornbread!! And that bean & veg bowl looks so healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny you said 'No Banana' about the Suja.

    That is the most beautiful Burrito I have ever seen in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad banana!
      It was not actually the burrito I ordered, but once it was determined it was still vegan, I ate it anyway. You know how it is about wasting food.

      Delete
  4. Look at that gorgeous burrito! NOM IT PLENTY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That burrito!! It looks so amazing, why can't I find burritos like that? The bean/spinach salad/bowl looks really lovely and those breakfasts are right up my alley. I seriously need to make some cornbread and I've been loving pb and banana lately :) Such a great staycation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NY is not known for its burrito, but Taco Chulo does them well.

      Delete
  6. Now I just realized I need a burrito! Kayla Philips is a-freaking-mazing! so worth trekking through the dark winter nyc streets for shows like this! Thanks for the tip on Belus -I do indeed like blackened doom :) letter went in the mail today, it's ridiculously long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, did you read the article she wrote after the Eric Garner/Ferguson mess? She's fantastic and so sweet, I talked to her a little bit. AND she's vegan!
      Excited for the letter, thanks!

      Delete
    2. I'll check that article out. Vegan for the win! that's awesome. I agree with Andrea, you took a great shot of the band, captured the energy and that's tricky to do.

      Delete
  7. Whoa, that burrito looks LEGIT. And I see that everyone here agrees. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the combination of ingredients of the Santa Cruz burrito — so many good things combined into one package. Another wonderful concert photo! Don't you just love it when getting to a show seems like more trouble than it's worth, and then turns out to be worth all the effort?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I don't love cooked spinach - but the burrito was tasty anyway, so it doesn't matter.
      The photo is a little blurry, thank you for the kind words, but anything interesting about the photo is the club's lighting and the band's presence. And they had one, truly.

      Delete
    2. The blurriness adds to the effect — movement! The lighting may have been there, but you caught it on film, and I love the way it looks. I think you captured the band's "presence" very well.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.