Search This Blog

Monday, March 9, 2015

Green Drinks and the Feminist Zine Fest

Green drinks are apparently the best way to fuel a vegan feminist, as this week's photos can attest:

   Whole Foods prepared green apple smoothie. Kale and ginger in there too, really good.

                               Mediterranean Salad from Bite, while reading Angela Carter.

Aye Nako: queer pop-punk at Silent Barn (playing with Downtown Boys and Screaming Females.) I have been so beat recently that I almost didn't go out to this show, but SO glad I did. Downtown Boys fantastic as always and Screaming Females are almost perfection. Sweaty, but nice, considering it was 28 degrees outside.

The night before was a quiet night off of copying, collating, and hanging out with Haxan because Saturday was the Feminist Zine Fest up at Barnard. (Here's last year's post on that.)

I was volunteering, so I got there early. From behind the front table, a mini zine program and button.

                   Walking around with my zines to trade, and a CLIF bar for quick fuel.

This is Suzy Gonzalez's table! I table-sat for her for a while, she was super awesome to talk to, makes really fantastic art, AS WELL AS a vegan-feminist zine! We might make a collab zine in the future.

This is the ABC No Rio table. I've already expressed my love of ABC No Rio, so it was cool to see these guys.
I also randomly (or not so, since we run in the same crowds...) ran in Kirsten! About a month after moving to Denver, she is back, without really telling anyone, haha.

my friend Antonia works up near Barnard, so we met at the fest and then went to eat at Dig Inn. Pretty cheap lunch, good food, and clearly labelled vegan stuff. I got a base of brown rice, topped with chickpeas & cauliflower; sauteed kale; and sweet potatoes.

                       Here is the zine haul (minus one or two others) plus some patches.

Later, for dinner: mixed greens, carrot, tempeh, red cabbage salad with a peanut butter dresssing.
I almost met up with a friend later who was in town for that one night, but it didn't work out and that is OKAY! I just put my feet up and passsssseddddd out. So worn out from everything recently, but also so, SO content to have my lovely, strong, smart, feminist friends and a political, invigorating, empowering music scene nearby. Much gratitude to life lately.

The next two days' photos are only green juices! This is maybe partially due to being so busy that I haven't bought groceries in too long. Bolthouse green juice (a little too sweet, but cool that they add broccoli, chlorella, dulse, and spirulina.)

Spinach, cranberry, froz banana, protein powder, rice milk smoothie.
That is ALL for now! I am off to buy some groceries and hopefully, in doing so, set my life in order.

24 comments:

  1. Ginger in smoothies = yes. Also: SALADS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feminist zine fest!! Yay!! How fun. I love that there's a zine called My Friends' Vaginas. Also love the Kalua in the background of the green smoothie. Balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I bought that Khalua for the VCTOTW tiramisu cupcakes!

      Delete
  3. I enjoy eating faux meat and watching reality tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay too. But you also read zines! I know that for a fact.

      Delete
  4. Blogger ate my comment! Argh! But I said something to the effect of: delicious looking smoothies, and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the show - even when exhausted! I hope Kirsten will come visit Denver again, and that we weren't horrible!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry :(
      Haha, well, you called it - Denver rents were too much for her, who could only find minimum wage jobs. I think she enjoyed the adventure.

      Delete
  5. Zine fest looks awesome, food looks awesome, and I just love the pic of Hexen because I love how cats just sit in the middle of all the things. Books, yoga mats, lap tops, whatever you are in the middle of. They are so entitled and so amazing. Could not live without them lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Zine Fest looks super rad, I wish I coulda been there! I love the Queer Punx patch (want!) and I need to know more about the middle two zines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I'm stoked on that patch. I'll let you know what the zines are like when I get through em.

      Delete
  7. I'd love to go to a zine fest, for now it's just me and pay pal, whooo! Hope you do a collab with Gonzalez, that'd be super cool! Looks like Haxan was being helpful smoothing out the pages ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope a zine fest comes near you soon! I gotta remember to email Suzy...

      Delete
  8. Too much fun! You've been such a socialite lately..! ;) the zine fest looks like it was a big success-those pb cliff bars have always been and still are my one true love. I've found mini cliff bars at target before- like a pocket sized snack version! Obvs i stocked up but now they're long gone.
    Dig inn is so good- i go whenever i get a chance. I'm with you on the green juice, love the stuff, that bolthouse one is quite sweet - i added some lemon juice to the last bottle i had and that helped.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am one tired socialite right now.
      The zine fest was such a success, I had a great time.
      mini clifs would be perfect! sometimes my mouth gets tired eating them.
      There is a Dig Inn near work, I realize now - will have to check that location out too.
      Good tip on the lemon juice, thank you!

      Delete
  9. Looks like a really cool zine fest and lots of good food to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The world needs more feminist zine fests in general. Wonder if there's one in London? Ditto Angela Carter. It's a crowded field, but she may be my favourite author of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! London is a pretty big town, there's got to be one! The one British feminist zine I know is Girls Get Busy, so keep an eye out!

      Delete
  11. I tried a few different brands of Green drink. Of all of the brands available, my favorite one is fueled with chlorophyll, fiber, vitamins, minerals and enzymes. I have been drinking it daily for over two years now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This entire post is so cool. Feminist Vegan Foodies Forever!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.