Search This Blog

Monday, March 16, 2015

Choosing Raw Recipes

With the beautifulling weather, eating habits are changing. Been spending a lot of time with Gena's recipes which, these days are less raw but still colorful, delicious, healthy, and full of everything good.
From her cook book, pumpkin seed nori rolls:


All rolled up and swirly. Very tasty. There is an option to dehydrate them; I ate them fresh. A filling snack.
Similar in technique, I made her sunflower feta, which is on her blog (I plan on making the whole beet/buckwheat recipe soon.)


I also made her spinach mushroom burgers today (recipe in the cookbook) which are also a base of ground pumpkin seeds, pureed up with spinach, marinated mushrooms, carrot, celery, and spices. They didn't look like much before cooking, and I was afraid I added too much liquid...


But they cooked up pretty nicely. I'll probably eat em in a collard wrap or something, in true Gena style.
Other stuff I ate today:

spinach, frozen banana, coffee flavored protein powder, cocoa powder, rice milk and water smoothie

                                                            pb and apricot jam
                                                     That's all for now. See ya later.

17 comments:

  1. The nori rolls look so good and the burgers too. I keep reminding myself to get Gena's cook book. I have heaps of her recipes scribbled out in a notebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've never had a bad recipe of hers! most of them are on her website in one form or another if you don't want to buy the book.

      Delete
  2. Really cool eats. Interesting how the burgers cooked up dark. I also enjoy seeing the nail polish go on and off in the past few Smoothie pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how much of the nail polish made it into my mouth.

      Delete
  3. Are you watching Hindsight on VH1? Great 90's references and...apricot jam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell you from firsthand experience that every single recipe pictured in that cookbook is utterly delicious. Of course, I might be just slightly biased... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was quite a transformation with the burgers. What was the texture like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mushy? I could have cooked them longer.

      Delete
  6. What would we do without Gena? Love her recipes!

    Any reason you use rice milk in smoothies? Health, taste, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No reason, really. I buy any vegan milk other than soy (usually almond) but this was probably a few cents cheaper than almond.

      Delete
  7. Digging those nori rolls as snacks. I need to up my raw snack game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really great! I'm no good at coming up with raw snacks either, unless I just do raw veg but thankfully Gena comes to the rescue.

      Delete
  8. I definitely want to try that sunflower seed feta! SO EXCITE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intrigued by the sunflower seed feta here too. I always have a metric truckload of the things lying around and only ever use them to sprinkle on things like salad. Gets bonus points for not need fermenting, so i'll be giving this one a go. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.