Search This Blog

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Vegantine's Day

Friday night after work my friend and I went out to John's of 12th Street, an old school Italian place founded 1908 that has successfully branched out to another crowd with a special all-vegan menu! Perhaps being right next door to Angelica's Kitchen influenced them?
In any case, well done. Except for the lighting, which was still very old school and needed a flash. Apologies for that.

                                                             The cavernous back room

                                                    The large drippy candle sculpture

                                                        Water and our carafe of wine

                                              A basket of vegan garlic bread to start

                                     and a split appetizer of grilled portobello mushrooms

I got Seitan alla rosa with roasted red peppers, artichokes, and mushrooms in marsala sauce. This was tastier than it was appealing to the eye.

and a cannoli for dessert. Seeing as how John's is close to Atlas Cafe, I thought their cannoli might be from Vegan Treats, but it looks like they make their own! They offer vanilla or chocolate. This is vanilla, but had a distinct cinnamon flavor. I believe the filling is cashew based?
The next morning I headed out to the Pine Box Rock Shop vegan pop-up shop.

Had a Holiday in Cambodia Bloody Mary: soy sauce in the booze, pickled green bean, pickled cauliflower, lemon slice, mango, pineapple, basil, and kalamata olives.Then I perused the tables. It was crowded as ever in there, and I wanted to get out as soon as I could. Nothing looked particularly enticing anyway.

...except for the Gone Pie table :) Said hello to Barbara and bought an almond chai brownie and a chocolate mint heart.
Happy, happy Valentine's. A compassionate heart is a healthy heart!

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Pshaw. I'm living A life. You are too.

      Delete
    2. not quite, but there is still hope...

      Delete
  2. Shen is right!
    Obvs i need to get back to john's , but honestly when i'm there its always for angelika's. Looks like a lovely (romantic!) meal there.
    That bloody mary is rediculous in the best possible way....we should start all mornings with booze and chocolate!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to Angelika's in a long time! Their food is more my style, but it seems it's always crowded. In any case, this was a good place for an omni and myself.
      Pine Box has like 7 different Bloody marys!
      Proud that I held off until after 4 to eat the chocolate.

      Delete
  3. Grilled portobello is one of my favorite foods. That bloody mary is epic! Was Jello Biafra singing in your head while you drank it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! I actually almost got a portobello entree too, but thought I ought to branch out.
      Hahah, yes of course! Can't complain! Actually that place has lots of cool concert tickets laminated onto the bar itself. Fun stuff.

      Delete
  4. Hooray for vegan menus at traditional Italian joints! I find that to be difficult normally, so this is awesome! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, they had parmigiana dishes that I passed over but it would have been interesting how they did that cheese!

      Delete
  5. I love when places do up vegan menus! I'm envious of your Vegantine's meal for sure (I can't remember what I even ate, clearly not memorable, ha ha). Hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this post because I really wanted to go to the pop up and yay for an Italian restaurant having a special vegan menu!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.