Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Staycation Pt. 1

OKay, so turns out vacations go really quickly??? Law of physics; time flies when you aren't at work. I feel like I didn't get all that much done, but here's some evidence of life:

                         Kashi Go Lean Crunch with banana and coffee with almond milk.

Was debilitated with cramps at least one day, there was lots of raspberry leaf tea (helps "the female system,") here soaking up good vibes on the altar.

Brownie from Rudy's. I managed to only eat half! The rest is in the freezer for an emergency, which I anticipate arising soon.

                            simple salad: baked tofu, tomatoes, carrot, spinach, lemon juice.

Turns out I didn't even need to buy the brownie though! Look what a magical fairy sent in the mail! Cocomels! Why don't they sell these near me??

                    I ate the sea salt ones first. So very, very, very good. Thank you magical fairy.

                                                     Did some hanging with the Hax.

morning smoothie! This was spinach, matcha, 1/2 a banana, frozen orange, lemon juice, almond milk, and protein powder.
Trader Joe's grocery haul. It had been so long since I'd been in there I was somehow not interested in buying a ton of stuff. Basics mostly: GF bread, jam, vitamins, crackers, lower sodium pistachios, sundried tomatoes, almond milk, coffee, dark chocolate cherries, (2) tempeh, tofu.

      Baked cornbread. With blueberries in it. That was part Raechel and part Ingrid.

 Was grateful to be home to see this sunset since most days I'm in a basement at that magic hour.

Hung out with my friend. He accidentally got someone else's fancy Wild Alaskan Salmon in his groceries so he gave it to me to give to Hax. She was pretty excited about that.

            Another smoothie. Spinach, frozen banana, blueberry, protein powder, lemon.

Got tattooed. This is the walk through McCarren park back to the train, in lieu of a picture of the still healing tattoo.

Then I ate a gigantic, delicious salad to help heal as soon as possible. This is spinach, red cabbage, avocado, tomato, sweet potato, and baked tofu with a tahini dressing.
And that was basically that. I'm meeting a friend for some drinks in a few; it's back to the grind tomorrow (though for only 3 days :)

27 comments:

  1. Days off are always too short. :) I love that giant salad! Must get our sweet potatoes out of the cabinet and roast them up for future salad endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually feel like i've been roasting them the wrong way for salads; I roast them whole - it'd probably be best to chop them up first and then roast. oh well!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You are knocking these posts out of the park! Looks like the Cocomels got a little smushed, but they still taste the same. Never thought of a Matcha Smoothie. What kind of tattoo did you get and where did you get it? Thanks for posting the TJ's haul. Not what I would have bought, so it is interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the espresso one was smushed too but very good.
      The matcha smoothie was based on a recipe I saw somewhere but ended up being nowhere near like the original.
      The tattoo is of a staple remover on my shin.

      Delete
    2. to go with your scissors? sort of an office thing?

      Delete
    3. Yeap! I also have safety pins, a whiteout pen, and marker on my leg... hopefully gonna one day have the whole thing covered with office supplies. Because I'm a nerd. What is yr favorite office supply?? I need more ideas!

      Delete
    4. omg! A whole punch! a really good hole punch wins me, but one of those hand held single punch ones would be cool too. That's a rad tattoo, like a little industrial monster.

      Delete
    5. Varg, I think I'm definitely gonna get one of those single hole punchers! They look like little dogs with tongues hanging out to me, haha!

      Delete
    6. Just when the tattoo artist had thought he/she had seen everything....

      Delete
    7. Yes!!! A paper clip? Post its?(!!!) Scissors, scotch tape, a ruler? This is the best thing I've heard in a long time.

      Delete
  3. Your staycation sounds awesome! And as one who has a lot of staycations, I can attest to their brevity.

    Hooray for blueberry cornbread! And such a tease on the tattoo- can't wait to see it (if it's okay to share!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the tattoo is of a staple remover on my shin - I probably won't post it on here because sometimes my mom looks at the blog (I think? maybe?) and she's not a fan...

      Delete
  4. Looks like a very tasty staycation — your salads are always a nice collection of colors and textures. You just reminded me that I still have an emergency brownie in the freezer that should be eaten immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished the emergency brownie today :)
      The salad texture was very good, mostly due to the red cabbage and sweet potato combo.

      Delete
  5. I wish Ryan could take a staycation. Looking forward to seeing the new artwork. Those cocomels look so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should all just take a real vacation together!

      Delete
  6. Whoa! That sunset is an explosion! Nice alt. I've gotten into the bad habit of relying on ibuprofen the first couple days -a crutch from working construction and all the guys would have pain killers -not raspberry leaf or willow bark- in their tool kits. If the days off went by fast it looks like you did a lot of great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. willow bark, huh? I haven't heard of that one - I'll look for some! I'm sure the ibuprofen comes in handy at other times too though.

      Delete
  7. That last salad looks SO GOOD. Yummm. And hi! We used to be blog pals, but I disappeared, but now I am back and writing again. Glad to be reading your fun food times once again. I am also very interested in these Cocomels...I think I'll need to get myself a fairy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I remember! Glad to see you back around. Everyone could use a fairy of various uses I think.

      Delete
  8. Ooooh what a great stay cation! That sunset shot is gorgeous! The meals all look great too, I'm so jealous of that blueberry cornbread. That sounds amazing! The treats look really amazing too, how have I not tried cocomels yet? And hooray for Haxan and tattoos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the sunset, and daylight savings time is coming so hopefully there will be more soon!

      Delete
  9. Yay blueberry cornbread! And I can't wait to see the tattoo! And that sunset is beautiful!

    Also, the past year or so, my cramps have gotten way worse than they used to be (i guess they started getting bad after i went off the pill about three years ago, but i think the stress levels i've had the past year and half have made them debilitating). Anyway, all that is to say I empathize, and thanks for the rec of the tea. I try to avoid pills and store bought medicine, but i actually bought a bottle of motrin last month, they were so bad. oh moon cycles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to get bad cramps but I had an IUD put in at the end of January and it makes the period much heavier and crampier - otherwise I love it though. But definitely glad to have the tea around. Plus a warm cup of tea can also be used as a heating pad if you need it :)

      Delete
  10. Your smoothies look great! I'm a big fan of roasted sweet potato in salads too. Trader joe's isn't easy for me to get to now but i stock up on favorites when i do go (meatless balls!)
    The blueberry cornbread sounds really delicious. The tatoo sounds painful!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always hard for me to really stock up since, yeah, I have to carry everything back on the train or by bike. Definitely considered the meatless balls though.

      Delete
  11. Any day that isn't a day at work is tops in my book. Time with sunsets and tattoos, cats and cornbread - that's just the cherry on the staycation cake.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.