Search This Blog

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Savories (ok, one sweet)

I'm surprised I don't see V8 more on the blogs. I mean, I guess I don't drink it all that often either but it's a pretty healthyish snack. High in sodium, but full of veggies. And cheaper than a fresh-pressed juice, which are almost always sweet anyway.

                                              I always opt for the spicy one if I can find it.

                                       The last of Isa's curry, over spinach instead of rice.

Grocery haul: bread, cucumbers, olive hummus, organic tomatoes, bananas, a bag of carrots, and 2 Tofurky deli slices. They were on sale, 2 for $5.

Kashi GoLean Crunch, also on sale, peanut butter, tofu, sweet potatoes, spinach, avocados, and broccoli. $36.74 for the lot.


                        collard wrap with hummus, tomatoes, shaved carrot, and avocado.


Half a homemade Reuben approximation. Tofurky slices, avocado, mustard, and sauerkraut.

                      And, la piece de resistance: a vegan carrot cake cupcake from Rudy's.

17 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of v8! Regular original for me, the reduced sodium is kinda horrible. True confession: i like to heat it up and drink hot from a mug in the winter.
    Good looking collard green wrap! And you found some good looking sweet potatoes too- the chubby ones are the best.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! I think you've said that before. If only you had a blog! ;)
      The cubby potatoes were good, but had to bake forever!

      Delete
  2. V8 only makes an appearance in my kitchen in two forms - going into a soup (good and cheap base) or going into a Bloody Mary. It does sterling work in both forms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually try to find a lower sodium Bloody mary base, just because of all the other stuff that goes into it but the soup base idea is genius.

      Delete
    2. I think some restaurants heat up V8 and call it soup.

      Delete
  3. My comment disappeared :( The just of it was that your haul looks great and I had a random tofurkey craving recently so it showed up in my last grocery basket as well. The collard wrap looks delicious, what a perfect avocado!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jist, I think! Haha.
      Yeah, I lucked out with those avocados. Sometimes when you buy a bag they go bad too quickly.

      Delete
  4. Strange coinkidink, Mr. SVegetarian recently began buying Arnold brand for all his bread needs. he is crazy for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good stuff. I bought it mostly because it was on sale.

      Delete
  5. Totally on board; I've been hitting tomato juice lately and heating it up like a mug of soup. Nice collard wrap :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's surprising that tomato/veggie juice doesn't get more love in the healthy living world too (even though I actually hate the taste of it!). But I think it's a marketing thing, you know? Like, it came out decades ago and I feel like it feels very tied to 90s low-fat processed "healthy" stuff (even though it's no more processed than the juices they sell in whole foods). But it just doesn't have the same brand power.

    Anyway, every time you show a collard wrap I am inspired to make one, but I never do. Maybe this will finally be the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a really good point, I hadn't even thought about that! There's definitely not much hip about V8, haha.
      Everytime I make a collard wrap, I wonder why I don't make them more often! So great.

      Delete
  7. I used to drink V8 but once Pine Box opened it just made me sad it wasn't a Bloody Mary and I stopped. I got the sale Tofurky slices too! 89 & I are eating way too much of it lately... Great idea with the kraut. I'll shake things up for dinner this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, I can see that! You could always throw vodka in yrs.
      It had been a while since I ate Tofurky! It's good stuff.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.