Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Isa Recipes with Subs

Stuff from only two days ago! I'm so on top of shit!

                                                  Breakfast: avo toast, blah blah, coffee

            Groceries: the green stuff: frozen edamame, broccoli, cilantro, scallions, collards

the rest: mushrooms, hummus, canned chickpeas, chocolate, garlic, potatoes, blackberries, avocado
Put immediately to use:

made the Down Home Curry with tofu (subbed chickpeas) and broccoli from Isa Does It. Sliced up my finger twice along with the veggies. Served over jasmine rice, which you can barely see.

                                   Found this beer at the grocery store and couldn't not buy it.

                                    my beautiful baby in one of her calmer moments lately
I also made the Sesame Slaw with warm garlicy seitan (subbed sesame tofu) to use up the last of the head of red cabbage.


I thought I had sesame seeds (I didn't) but there is toasted sesame oil in both the dressing that you toss the cabbage salad in, and drizzled on the cooked tofu.
Usually I am so lazy about preparing tofu, but I pressed this block well and broiled it as per instructions and it came out so well! Let that be a reminder to put a little more effort into tofu... Really liked this dish over all. Sweet + salty, crunchy + chewy, just enough spice - garlic, ginger, and sriracha. Plus it used up the last of the red cabbage. Love when that happens. I might try to stretch this a little farther by adding more greens, or you could switch it up even more by using mushrooms instead of tofu or seitan.
Talk to y'all later.

14 comments:

  1. Could you like be more obsessed with Isa? i smell restaining order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't used substitutes, I would be slightly more obsessed.

      Delete
  2. The only downside to preparing tofu is all the faffing and pressing. It does tend to turn out better when you fiddle with it appropriately though, you're right - a lesson to my lazy ass to not be quite so lazy, and reap the tofu benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh that garlic slaw with tofu looks amazing! I bet it has a ton of flavor, yum! Nice looking haul, looks like you are well stocked with a lot of yummy groceries. The loser beer made me laugh :) Beautiful pic of Haxan! She's so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slaw was really great. It didn't even wilt a ton after a week, which is a good thing in my book.

      Delete
  4. I don't drink but I'd be lured by a Subpop collaboration too. I would love to see video of hellion Haxan! Collard greens out here are super sweet tasting right now, the spine is delicious like tulip stems. I buy a smoked tofu that's made in Vancouver. It's cheap -even though it's organic- and enables my lazy tofu prep, it's a crutch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just want to save the labels! Hehe, I'll try to get Hax on video. She's usually too spazzy to catch.
      Would love to taste those delicate collards! Big fan.

      Delete
  5. I love extra saucy curries! Haxan is look particularly intrigued in that photo. I feel like everyone is cooking beautiful meals from Isa Does It these days and I'm all: cereal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish this one were slightly more saucy! That's my only complaint. I guess I could add more broth or coconut milk to leftovers. Cereal rules! Keep on keepin on with that!

      Delete
  6. i have been in a curry mood lately. tonight i am doing masala burgers on wheat naan with sweet potato fries and curried ketchup!

    beer is good - beer with funky labels is extra good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh masala burgers! Nice.
      Yeah, I want to soak these labels off!

      Delete
  7. That tofu looks so perfect, I'm happy with a little dry frying and a sprinkle of S+P but a proper broil & marinade takes it to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about dry frying, but sometimes it gets stuck to the pan for me and doesn't work out. This seemed failsafe. And more flavorful, maybe.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.