Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Isa Live at City Winery

Monday night, I was the luckiest little vegan in the world, with tickets to Isa's cooking demo at City Winery, and getting bumped up front due to getting there early and it not having sold out.
I went with my best, best friend, Erica, on a cold night when we decided to be fancy as fuck, which means wine pairings along with our delicious vegan meals.

                        Complimentary wine tasting of their house wine. It had an Isa label on it.

                         The menu, which I lost, I guess?!? Did I mention we drank a lot of wine?

The glasses all came out at once, which made things a little cluttered but Erica and I kept it together enough to not knock everything off the table. We had a space to ourselves, at least.

The program/timing/set up was a little weird: the dishes were brought out first and after we ate, Isa would come up and demo the dish (kinda.) Then she would go back offstage, and we would wait for the next course. Everything felt a little rushed, but I feel like that could have been helped if we ate while Isa was up on stage, demoing. Isa seemed a little pre-occupied anyway, so less pressure would have been on her and we would be more distracted with the food to realize that she only half-made the dish, or left out whatever ingredients. In between, she took questions about cats and vegan life and food and friends and how she got so beautiful. Whatever, it's never easy to get up in front of a bunch of people and talk about yr work.

The first course was Caesar salad with seared Brussels sprouts and tofu. This was probably my favorite course of the night. There was a little quinoa in the dish, and it was all tossed with a tahini-caper dressing and toasted pine nuts.

Next was a tamale with lentil chorizo. Guacamole and mole rojo sauce. Sorry I didn't get an inside shot. This was really delicious too. I think this was Erica's favorite course.
Interlude for basement bathroom breaks.

                                                                      FANCAYYYY

The third course was rosemary dumplings in a creamy chickpea stew. I thought this was really good, if a little heavy. It probably could have been a smaller serving and I would have been satisfied.

                                                      Then our dessert wines came out!

Dessert was a chocolate cupcake with chocolate mousse topping. The cupcakes were a little dense after all that food, so Erica and I mostly ate the mousse off the top and the raspberry coulis and coconut cream.
That was that, basically. We were kind of hustled out of the place after the meal was over, but people hung around to get things signed or to take pictures with Isa.
So it was a delicious and exciting and fancy night. Good company, obviously. The $80/seat-crowd is not really my people, but it was a good night out and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.
Tune in next time for yr regularly scheduled programming.

16 comments:

  1. What a cool event!! It must have been so fun and it looks really elegant. The meal looks incredible and how cool that there was a demo along with the meal :) What a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Isa recognize you yet? Did you tell her how you attempted to make Dumplings? who actually made the food you ate? It does sound like a great event. Kudos to you for showing support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she remembers and hates me for barging in on her conversation at mooshoes. So I tried not to bother her this time. But I did smile at Terry Hope Romero in the train station :D
      No idea who made the food. She seemed to have different chefs at each City Winery stop.

      Delete
  3. Haahah -fancayyy- I am really bad at being fancy but that would have been a cool dinner to attend and holy a lot of wine pairing, no wonder you lost the menu ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrible at being fancy too! It made me feel better that Isa was wearing a misfits shirt and I had a Ramones shirt on under my cat sweater.

      Delete
  4. NICE. This looks like a fun night, and well worth a few quirks. I love that salad especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that salad. Stoked to make a version at home.

      Delete
  5. I've always been curious to know how these cooking demos went - I would imagine they are stressful for the host, but as a guest, you'd hope to not notice! It sounds like a fun evening, and super delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she was actually having a grand old time. Her wineglass was always full.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you blogged this; I felt like I was there! I for sure would have knocked all of those wine glasses off the table.
    PS "It probably could have been a smaller serving and I would have been satisfied." are words I've never said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had you heard about it and just not wanted to go? It was definitely expensive, but I'm glad we went.

      Delete
  7. That IS a fancy as Fuck dinner!! How freaking amazing! Every dish looks great, but it is really weird they didnt bring the wine with the dish it paired with... Looks like generous portions too, those fancy dinners always seem to be two bite courses. that salad with tofu needs to happen for me asap.
    What a fun delicious evening!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they told us the order in which to drink the wines but it was still weirdly cluttered. Whatever. I was pleased with the portions too! I had no idea what to expect.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like quite the event, even if the timing was a little odd! I think I would have liked the first course best, too, though the chickpea stew sure has its appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was cashew cream in the stew. Really delicious and decadent.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.