Search This Blog

Monday, February 23, 2015

Boring Food bookended by ART

I'm on vacation! Well, I have a four day weekend twice this month, to break up the monotony. So hopefully there will be a fair amount of cooking projects, though I'm also working on as much visual art and creative writing as possible.

                                              This is what my desk looks like right now...
But I'm also going to try to explore the city a little bit more and share that with you. Like a mini MoFo! In the dead of winter!
But let's get the regular stuff out of the way first:

Raw collards, kidney beans, sweet potato. Srirached after the photo. Can we get that word in the dictionary, please?

From the vending machine at work! They are stepping up their game. Vegans are probably the only people who look at the stuff in a vending machine and go back to their desk to google the ingredients in a product before purchasing a snack. Such a hard life.

                                                 Quick breakfast. Cool roommate's mug.

Avo toast with black salt!, cayenne, and hemp seeds. Terri Romero posted a photo recently of some SERIOUSLY decked out avo toast with crushed pepitas, hemp seeds, nooch, spices, and oil but for now I think my version is good. (She is also writing a vegan protein book! which I am not.) Ooh, maybe I could add some garlic powder, though.

                                  more kidney beans and sweet potato over raw broccoli.

   Snowy vegan carrot-raisin cookies at the Union Square Farmer's market. Yes, I bought one.

                                                         Snowy but still going strong

Another Tofurky sandwich with cucumber slices, spinach, kraut, and mustard before heading out to THE WRONG SHOW! I went to a venue a full week before the bands I wanted to see were gonna play! Haha, but it was a cool night anyway - saw this mystical trio on a Twin Peaks-esque set playing lounge-y Psychic TV-type stuff. They lit incense and a candle and were mostly just synth and vocals. It was great but I can't figure out who they are!

 There is a person dressed all in white holding up the moons while the man in black croons.
                                                                      See you soon.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, so much snow! Even on the cookies, yipes! Someone at the gym complained about the cold here, and I told her to shush in case you Easterners heard her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear it really is cold everywhere! I'm not really complaining...

      Delete
  2. Omg, avo toast!!! I need to try it with hemp seeds. Also, srirachaed is going in my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great with hemp seeds, I've only recently started doing that.

      Delete
  3. Excellent post! Almost makes me consider mixing Kidney Beans with Baked Sweet Potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? You're a difficult one to figure out. But glad you enjoyed it. I guess as long as I don't post borscht...

      Delete
  4. Dream-scape start, psychedelic end - I miss that about cities; you can go out and find the weird delights any night of the week. And a year round farmers market, with snow cookies! That sandwich is boss. Enjoy your mini holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I do realize how lucky I am for that to happen. It's not like I drove an hour to go the the wrong show!

      Delete
    2. Ha! The Decide story -which I should be putting in the mail today or tomorrow- does involve driving a hour... but for a show that was right but went wrong :)

      Delete
  5. Hooray for long weekends! Much deserved, and I'm glad you were able to see a show - albeit the wrong one! Will you go back next week?

    The poor snow covered cookies! I would have adopted a few, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, I will be going back on Saturday to what is hopefully the correct show.

      Delete
  6. Long weekends beat the normal ones, that's for sure. Turning up a full week before the bands you want to see is commitment personified. Looks like the universe rewarded you for the enthusiasm nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I should get a prize or something for my loyalty!

      Delete
  7. Hooray for four day weekends, art projects, writing, exploring and cooking! I love it all :) I've been working on an art/side business project and I am loving it! Your avo toast looks great as do your lunch/dinner bowls. So good.

    Enjoy your four day weekends! Can't wait to see what you end up doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't explore too much, but I have another long weekend next week. Hopefully the weather will be nicer and I'll be more willing to walk around.
      Will you let us know what the art/side business is?? As long as you are having a good time with it.

      Delete
  8. Four day weekends are amazing! Enjoy it :))
    Art projects are great, when they go well you can really get immersed in them. Avo toast with hemp seeds is a great combo. When i have time i do lots of cooking so i have freezer meals ready to go for the nights I can't deal.
    Frozen cookies are yummy too! Frozen fresh produce...not so much. I literally bought frozen grapes from the street guy the other day.
    What a bizarre show- very "only in nyc" experience there.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rare gems, they is!
      The poetry project is already taking up wayyy more of my time and energy than I had hoped but I should be able to reign myself in soon...
      Freezer meals rule! All leftovers do.
      Love every "Only in NY" story, ha!

      Delete
  9. I always think that vending machines should be loaded backwards!!
    Those cookies look so silly all covered in snow, but an oldie & goodie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, good idea! Who can we bring that up with?
      Yeah, they are old classics, those cookies. I don't even honestly enjoy them that much anymore (plus they raised the price again!) but appreciate that they're there.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I like Abby's suggestion. My kids always take those granola bars in their lunches.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.