Search This Blog

Monday, January 26, 2015

SNOWBLITERATION

Heard kinda last minute about the snowstorm headed our way. Who knows how much we'll actually end up with. In any case, I figured it would be prudent to be sure I had groceries on hand. Mondays are my usual prep days anyway, and I haven't been so good at that lately.

Grocery haul: tomatoes, spinach, more tomatoes, avocado, string beans, mushrooms, bread, canned beans

two sweet potatoes, a lemon, and an onion. Also bought carrots that somehow didn't make it into the photo. $20.75 total.

              A quick collard wrap dinner (actually I had two) before heading out for the night.

                      spinach + artichoke hummus, tomato, carrot, mushroom and sriracha.

Had some coffee at my friend's place this morning and headed home. I did not stop for a bagel OR a donut because I knew I was gonna make an awesome breakfast with yesterday's groceries.

Turned the oven on high but opened the window for some air. Haxan investigated the beginnings of the snow, but not for very long. She then retreated to my bed.

"Roasted Things" from Isa Does It - mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes - all with olive oil, s+p, and thyme.

Also, toast with EB and cannellini beans. Kinda like a veganized full English breakfast. But I had coffee, not tea, and no snausage.
                                            Bundled up and went up to the roof. No further.


Finally I made and ate Smoky Split Pea Soup from Appetite for Reduction. I accidentally made it too salty, but it was nicely smoky and spicy from smoked paprika.

Stay warm and safe, you guys! Hope you all have some soup or a pet or a person to snuggle up with.

14 comments:

  1. Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet" has an enviable vegan full English that I've always dreamed of trying, but yours looks pretty incredible! I sure hope the snow and wind storm isn't as horrible as they are predicting! Stay warm and cozy - and away from the window, both you and Haxan! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! I have that book but so rarely look at it! I'll have to check out her version.
      The wind was worse than the snow... Surely you know what it's like.

      Delete
  2. That is an awesome breakfast!! I totally love the pic of you all bundled up too, going up to the roof was brave.
    The soup sounds like the perfect snow food meal! Too bad it was a bit salty. I think the only way to fix that is either add chopped potato (and cook more so potato absorbs salty broth) or add liquid to dilute broth...
    I hope there's some serious snow happening overnight, i want a snow day tuesday so i can keep sleeping and make lentil stew..!
    Stay safe and warm
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The breakfast was something I wish I could do more often!
      I've heard that potato helps salty soup...I don't often buy potatoes but I thought about going back out. Water it is.
      We had a late start to work on Tuesday, but still had to show up :(

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that the storm didn't hit you that hard but it looks like you would have been well stocked if it did! The breakfast looks really amazing and I like the pic of you on the roof.

    We got about 12-18 inches I think but the drift in some parts of our driveway and in front of the cars is probably a good 3-4 feet. I anticipate a few hours of shoveling in my near future... snow is just finishing up now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast was good, but pretty hearty considering I didn't do any shoveling llike you did.

      Delete
  4. Your friend serves breakfast on top of the washing machine? I can see immediately that you two have some similarities....

    Another excellent post. admire how you didnt stock up on comfort food for the blizzard. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, aw. No, he's a sit down dude. The food styling was all me.
      I wish I had bought more cookies and comfort food for the storm, even though it was only one day, but there's nothing like that in my neighborhood. I did eat a lot of bread though.

      Delete
  5. I kind of loved being forced to stay inside all day yesterday. The only time I ever do that is if I am super duper sick, so having an "in day" when I was feeling good was rad. I had a person in town for my bday who was stuck after his flight was canceled, so I got to spend the day with him. I worked on lesson-planning, took a break to make us hummus, for lunch, and then he made us whisky cocktails, tomato soup, and vegan grilled cheese sammies for dinner. We watched way too much Netflix and played scrabble. And I snuggled my black cat a lot too. It ruled.

    All yr food looks delicious and I commend you for your rooftop sojourn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! my roommate was away cat sitting, so it was extra quiet and calm. Very nice, really.
      Sounds like a fantastic day with yr friend! I heard Boston got a lot more snow than we did. Hope you won Scrabble.

      Delete
  6. It's always prudent to be prepared, but from what I heard, NYC snow didn't live up to the hype. Too bad, a really massive blizzard can be exciting. I have to experience my snow storms vicariously these days, but even long distance they still inspire me to crave soup. In my case it's lentil soup — I have the hardest time getting split peas to cook. Maybe I can start now for next winter. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not really. Although we might get more tomorrow!
      I've had problems getting split peas to cook before too - in fact, using this recipe. I think the peas were just old though. This time I got them from a bulk bin and they worked fine.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.