Search This Blog

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Overdue

Sorry it's been so long since the last post. It's partly still illness but mostly being busy, I guess. That and very lackluster food, which I didn't even bother to take pictures of. But here's what I do have.

                        Another gingerbread smoothie! This time I added canned pumpkin.

Leftover curried butternut squash soup from Christmas at my parents' house. It was my brother's last day here so I went over to the house and promptly slept for 2 hours. We ate dinner and drove him to the airport while I was still in a daze. Sorry for a very improper goodbye, Willy.

my mom very kindly brought over some delicious soup after that. I'm not really sure what was even in this, but it was good. I know there was bok choy, rice, and carrot. I added some tofu.

                            Dosing up on French medicine. Belladonna was a listed ingredient.

I also drank shots of this fire cider, mixed with brown sugar. Fire Cider is just a bunch of incredible herbs and roots (turmeric, horseradish, garlic, onion, parsley, peppercorns, habanero pepper, ginger, etc.) topped off with apple cider vinegar. There are a lot of recipes on the World Wide Web.

                                                  Spinach, tofu, avocado, kimchee

                     Sauteed kale and red lentils with onion, curry powder, garam masala.

                                                Christmas chocolate. Fig/fennel variation.

                                                           Here is my beautiful Haxan.

and here is a very good book (Lydia Davis' new one, Can't and Wont) with a soy chai latte. It was a wet day, but this combination made it a little better.
That's all for now. New Year's Eve was nice but quiet, I didn't drink at all. I'm still an odd combination of nauseous and not at all hungry. I'm forcing myself to eat but it's all pretty boring stuff. Hopefully that will soon pass, and I'll remember to be better about photographing food. See you soon.

12 comments:

  1. This illness has been lasting an unusually long time. Sure you're not preggars?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLenty of hot hot soup sounds excellent right about now. And fire cider! I keep meaning to make some but have not actually done it yet. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you might have the flu. Do you have a fever? My appetite was completely gone the week of Christmas, which is a sad time of year to not be eating! Ha! I either couldn't keep it down or had two crackers at a time. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, sounds like this sickness is kicking your a$$..! What sucks is the whole black hole loop of no energy not hungry but then therefore you're low energy and feel even worse. The fire cider sounds wonderful actually, as do those soups!
    When I'm sick sometimes a few spoons of nut butter help as a zero effort nutritionally dense snack. And sleeping. Lots and lots of sleeping! Have you seen a Dr to be sure its not something serious? Last yr my sister had a cold that wouldn't go away and by the time she caved and saw the dr she had walking pnemonia..! Took her down for a month. Not to freak you out, but take care of yourself :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, that does sound like a good book, just by the pre-title. Very early 20th century, late 19th century sounding. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This food is totally not lackluster! Everything looks delicious and healthy! I bought miso today so I can make some miso soup bc yours always looks so good :) I hope you feel better soon, you've been sick for too long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haxan looking as dapper as ever :) and that fire cider! wow looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent foodstuffs and photography- particularly since you didn't feel well! Haxan should always be photographed on that chair. There's a little face (peppercorn?) in your fire cider jar. Feel better & happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you're on the mend. I have a firm conviction that kimchi will do wonderfully restorative things to both mind and body (assuming ingested).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also Lydia Davis - is the new one good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It's not my favorite of hers, but I did like it a lot. Some longer pieces than I'm used to.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.