Search This Blog

Sunday, January 25, 2015

From England

Here is Haxan, because I know you have been missing her. I have been too.

Here is a smoothie:

Peach, banana, strawberry, vanilla protein powder, and a handful of spinach with almond milk.

Roasted up a bunch of carrots and tomatoes in walnut oil with salt and pepper to put on salads for the week. So there were a lot of this repeat salad - raw collard salad, roasted veg, tofu. Later added tahini-turmeric dressing and nooch.

     Bought this frozen Daiya pizza on sale, feeling completely uninspired and too tired to cook.

                                                      Not bad. Lots of basil and garlic.

                                              It snowed yesterday. Slushed my way to work.

Spent this morning inside, drinking coffee and reading Claudia Rankine's Citizen. Really loving it so far.

But it was much warmer today, and the snow was mostly melted so I got off my hibernating heiney and biked to my folks' house.
Had lunch there, cooked by my mom:

Broccoli rabe with mushrooms and shallots in soy sauce, quinoa with kidney beans, and avocado + tomato.
They also brought me back an Orange-Lemongrass-Hibiscus infusion from a tea shop in Bath, which was very nice.

Always appreciative of warm things to drink. Ta ta for now, as the Brits say.

13 comments:

  1. That is one fancy teacup! I love it when people actually use their fancy china instead of letting it sit there for 50 years. Actually, I really love just not having too much stuff to use. :) Roasting veg for salads sounds great! I may do that with fennel and beets this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! It's also very rare to actually have a matching cup and saucer.
      Roasted fennel is soo so good. I bought groceries after you posted this comment and almost bought some as well. Next time, I guess.

      Delete
  2. Excellent post. I have been thinking Haxan was being neglected. Love the way you made the Daiya Pizza look like the real thing. Love seeing what your parents bought for you on their trip to England. Didnt you recently do a post on what your parents brought you back from their travels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I guess the Daiya people just try to "keep it real" because I didn't do much to the pizza.
      Hmm, I'm trying to think where else my parents visited that they would have brought me something back. my mother also gave me white butler gloves from England, you can take from that what you will.

      Delete
    2. it was the little jars of jelly that your parents brought back. i remembered cuz my parents always brought me the free toiletries,

      Delete
  3. Yay, Haxan! And Daiya Pizza! And homemade meals! And England! I'm ready to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I thought a lot about yr trip when they were showing me their photos. They also went up to Stonehenge and London.

      Delete
  4. thanks for the recc on Citizen, keeping my eye out for it. i heard on the radio last night there's a big storm heading over the east; batten down with tea and catnip, books and haxan cuddles - take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, do! PRO by Katha Pollitt is another fantastic, political, thoughtful book I recently finished.
      I battened down, but we probably won't get as much or as cold as you do!

      Delete
  5. I could have sworn I commented on this post? Weird! Anyway, I love this post and the adorable pic of Haxan! Beautiful smoothie and it looks like your mom cooked a really nice meal. I really really love the picture from the bike, very cool shot! The tea sounds great! I'm drinking some tea right now!

    Stay warm and safe the next few days!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stay warm too! We're lucky we had today off to prep and assess.
      Very proud of my mom cooking a vegan meal all by herself.

      Delete
  6. I love black cats, and Haxan is a gorgeous example of why.

    Speaking of snow (you mentioned melting) — it sounds like you are getting submerged by a massive storm today. Maybe a work-cancelling storm? I have to admit that I used to find giant storms exciting, and I miss them, even though they cause havoc. Hope you can enjoy the storm without undo problems like power outages, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love them too, they're so stunning.
      I'm actually off today, thank goodness - the store might be closed tomorrow! I kind of like a good snow storm too, honestly. I've got food and movies and books, so I should be good!

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.